[Parentsgroup-list] practice for nanny's pay when we are off on vacation?

Christine Wenc christinewenc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 12:47:16 EDT 2008

Hi all,

In my opinion, this is something that should be discussed when you
hire the nanny so that everyone is on the same page.  But basically I
think the nanny should be paid while you are on vacation unless you
made it clear to her when you hired her that she would not be paid
when you are on vacation, and she took the job knowing that was the
case.

I have paid babysitters when I canceled at the last minute, or when I
was going to miss a regularly scheduled "sitting."  I figure that this
is the way I'd like to be treated if I was the babysitter/nanny and
relied on this job for my living expenses.

I also think that caregivers of young children should be treated like
queens/kings as often as possible! since this can really boost morale
for everybody.

My 2 cents,
Christine