[Parentsgroup-list] Switching OB/GYNs

Jennifer Worden jmw981 at mail.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 20 20:40:40 EST 2008

I used the midwives at the Cambridge Birth Center, but ended up giving birth
at Cambridge Hospital due to my own decision to have an epidural after all
(after 8 hours of back labor). As it turned out, there was also meconium in
the sac, so they would have transferred me anyway once my water broke. That
said, I had a "normal" delivery so I'm not sure how Cambridge Hospital
compares to B&W in terms of high risk deliveries, but speaking generally I
was super-impressed by the quality of nurses, their relationships with my
midwives (since my labor spanned a couple of shifts I was attended by two
and then my own- Gretchen, who was fabulous- visited frequently), and
everything else with the experience. They were great about helping us out
with nervous first parent jitters, breastfeeding, they were very respectful
about our decisions to room-in and went out of their way to make my husband
as comfortable as possible considering rooms are private with only one bed.
It was a great experience and while it wasn't the one I originally planned
for, I was really happy with Cambridge Hospital. I also use the Women's
Clinic there for some general gynecological issues and am equally impressed
with that staff.

Good luck making your decision and I'm sending you best wishes for an
uncomplicated delivery!

Jennifer

-- =

Jennifer M. Worden