[Parentsgroup-list] Switching OB/GYNs

Ayfer Karakaya Stump stump at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 20 10:36:11 EST 2008

Hi everyone!

While we are on the subject of choosing OB/GYNs, I would like to get
some advice from the list members about how to change doctors.

I am almost seven months pregnant. I have been seeing a doctor at
Brigham where I was referred to by a gynecologist at the Cambridge
hospital. (I wanted the referral because my pregnancy is regarded as
high-risk because of a blood-related condition that I had when I was a
teenager. I had a related episode during the second trimester of my
first pregnancy, and had to take low doses of steroids for the rest of
my pregancy because of it.)

But I don't really like the doctor I am seeing at Brigham. He is
inattentive, rushes you during visits, and does not seem to respect your
wishes and intelligence. I considered switching to another doctor within
Brigham, but didn't do anything about it partly because one of his
nurse-practitioners to whom I implicitly suggested my possible desire to
change doctors seemed rather put off by what I said, and suggested that
it would something difficult to do because most doctors at Brigham don't
take new patients.

So my questions are as follows:

1) Has anyone switched from one OB/GYN to another one within Brigham?
How did you go about doing it? And did you experience any negative
repercussions afterwards because of it (such as being treated as a
trouble maker by the nurses etc.)?

2) So far I have assumed it might be better to stay with Brigham because
of my high-risk pregnancy, which renders a C-section delivery much safer
than a natural one. But after reading all the messages, I have been
thinking that maybe I should switch from Brigham to a doctor at the
Harvard University Health Center. But I understand from the messages
that even if I choose my OB/GYN from the HUHC, I will be sent to Brigham
for the delivery, although it will still be my Harvard Center doctor who
will attend my delivery. Do I understand this correctly?

3) If you choose an OB/GYN from the HUHS, can you request to be sent to
the Cambridge Hospital, rather than to Brigham, for the delivery. And
does anyone have any ideas as to whether the Cambridge Hospital would be
as fully equipped as Brigham in case any serious complications occur
during delivery?

Sorry for the long, message,
and thanks in advance for all your suggestions,

ayfer