[Parentsgroup-list] birth center and book

Marna Costanzo mcostanz at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 19 13:55:47 EST 2008

I had my 2nd baby at the Cambridge Birth Center and it was an experience I
will treasure.  The midwife on call (Jill) was so supportive and encouraging
during the labor.  They did an excellent job of following my wishes during
the labor and delivery, but Jill was also there to give me some coaching
when I needed it.  I felt very well cared for medically as well as
emotionally supported.  They were just about cheering me on :)

My husband and I held our baby through most of the routine checks which they
performed right there in our room after his birth.    Possibly the best part
was that they seemed just as excited as us to welcome our son.

They don't give epidurals at the birth center though, so if you're planning
to ask for one you can deliver at the Cambridge Hospital and still have the
midwives and doula attend.  I do wholeheartedly recommend the midwives'
practice.

Happiest Baby is very useful, even for a 2nd time mom!  I can lend you my
copy if you e-mail me off-list.

Marna
(Aiden 3yrs and Kieran 5 mos)