[Parentsgroup-list] birth center and book

Deborah Freedman Woods dwoods at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 19 10:35:51 EST 2008

I delivered my 2nd at Mt. Auburn last January with an OB
from Harvard Vanguard Medical Assoc.  Overall, the
experience was positive but not ideal.  The nursing staff
was fantastic -- attentive, supportive, and capable.  My OB
was reassuring and responsive to our wishes.  Fortunately
the delivery progressed smoothly, and there was no need to
consider any interventions.  The postpartum staff was
thoughtful and respected our wishes to be left alone as
much as possible.

The one BIG drawback was the wait and complications
associated with the epidural.  I had to wait about 2 1/2
hours from when I requested an epidural until the
anesthesiologist arrived.  The delivery ward was full,
but that was only half the reason for the long wait.  The
anesthesiologist had a lot of trouble putting it in
correctly. She didn't seem competent: it took her 30 min
and she hit a nerve, which hurt for several weeks after.

If not for the epidural, I would have been happy with my
experience at Mt. Auburn.

On a side note, Joy mentioned the lactation consultants and
breastfeeding support group at the Cambridge Birth Center.
The support group is open to anyone, no matter where you
deliver.  The lactation consultants are wonderful.  I esp.
love Kate, who runs the Thursday morning group.  It's a
really warm, supportive environment for nursing moms,
whether or not you need help with breastfeeding issues.

Good luck with your decision.

Best,
Deb Woods