[Parentsgroup-list] birth center and book

Joy Geren joygeren at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 15:00:35 EST 2008

I had my second at Cambridge Birth Center (had the first with the midwives
at Mt. Auburn). This was the ideal place for me and my family. Everyone was
so helpful and kind. They handled my pregnancy complications very
professionally and offered me the support I needed to stick to a natural
birth plan despite them. Everyone gets a free doula for the birth and to
help at home afterwards if you wish. I did face a bit of a problem during
the birth, I started to pass out when I was fully dialated. They handled the
situation with the calm and ease of an ER staff but in the comfort of a
bedroom. My baby never left me after the delivery (no ankle tags or wheely
carts needed), big brother came to see his sister as soon as he woke up
and our whole family, daddy included, could all cuddle in bed together
(siblings and others may attend the birth but I chose to leave my 2 year old
at home sleeping). I was home in less than 12 hours and never missed a night
of showering with my toddler or tucking him in bed. I have also talked to 2
women who had to be transfered to the hospital when things weren't going
normally and both said they were quite pleased with the transfer
decision and the care they got at Cambridge hospital. Another perk is access
to the free sessions with certified lactation consultants offered 2 mornings
a week. You can go as often as you need to get nursing help or to just visit
other moms who have very young babies.

I liked Mt. Auburn and considered it a positive experience but there are
certain drawbacks to delivering in a hospital. For me these included
catching a very serious bacterial infection usually only contracted in
hospitals (I had a completely natural birth but contracted C. difficile and
was very ill for weeks). Also my husband and newborn were in the nursery for
3 hours shortly after the birth. My baby was fine but there were others that
needed urgent attention so they just held my baby at the nursery while he
waited for the routine bathing, etc. I really did not like being alone, had
no clue what was happening with my baby and missed some critical bonding
time despite the fact that neither he nor I needed any urgent medical care.
I loved the midwives of Mt. Auburn but do not like that they have to catch
babies in a hospital, having a hosptial next door for emergencies was much
better for us.

Hope that helps!
Joy, G7 and mom to Toby 3yrs and Della 6m

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:01 AM, =E9milie cappella <emilie.cappella at gmail.=
com
> wrote:

>  Hi,
> Does anyone have an experience at the Cambridge Birth Center that she wou=
ld
> like to share ? I'm due May 2nd and I wish to give birth there but I'm st=
ill
> registered at the B&W Hospital.
> By the way, I have read and liked "The happiest toddler on the block" for
> my fist child and would like to know if "the happiest baby on the block" =
is
> good too and if someone wants to sell his book to me.
> Thanks !
> Emilie Cappella

-- =

Joy Geren, M.A.