[Parentsgroup-list] OB/GYN at HUHS

Manjari C. Miller mchatter at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 18 12:36:58 EST 2008

Hey Deb (and Finn),

Just had to chime in: I ultimately had John Goldman who I loved (calm, =

reassuring) and Dr. Olson who I hated (I was in my 7th month, relieved =

that everything was going well, said as much to Olson, who responded that =

you never know what might happen and that he had just that morning =

attended the stillbirth of a woman who was 7 months pregnant--needless to =

say I was horrified and stressed out). Anyway the point being that an =

Ob-gyn is a very personal preference--try all of them before you decide on =

one.

Best,
Manjari

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Debrah Rud wrote:

> Hi Finn,
>
> I agree that Dr. Guzelian is quite capable and has a great bedside manner.
> She did not deliver my son, but she was there at the very beginning of my
> labor. My son was delivered (9.5lbs, posterior, forceps delivery after 2
> hours of pushing) by Dr. Zinner, who is absolutely fantastic, but
> unfortunately she is no longer with the HUHS practice. I also liked Dr.
> Olson, who was my primary OB. He has a very calm and steady manner that I
> really appreciated. I did not like Dr. Goldman, can=B9t say exactly why, =
he
> just seemed a bit condescending ? he has a way of always saying =B3we=B2 =
-- =B3How
> are we doing today?=B2.  Anyway, personal preference I suppose.
>
> I agree with Meytal and have to say that I really was glad that my son was
> born at the Brigham. I labored unmedicated (until the forceps delivery) a=
nd
> pushed as long as they would let me but my poor =B3little=B2 guy was face=
 up and
> stuck against my pelvic bone. While the forceps delivery was really
> difficult for both my son and me, it was better than going for a c-section
> after he was lodged in my pelvis. I really felt that the Brigham allowed =
me
> to make my own decisions in terms of laboring naturally and then took the
> reigns when it became dangerous, and I really feel that in retrospect tha=
t I
> would not have been able to push him out without the aid of the forceps.
>
> Anyway, good luck to everyone expecting. So exciting!
>
> Debrah
> G6 PhD Program in Virology
> Mother of Jackson (almost 4!)
>

> On 11/18/08 11:07 AM, "Meytal Higgins" <budin at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Finn,
>>
>> I have an 11 month old boy who was born at Brigham and Womens through HU=
HS.  I
>> spent my entire pregnancy with HUHS, so I have interacted with all the O=
Bs in