[Parentsgroup-list] OB/GYN at HUHS

Meytal Higgins budin at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 18 11:07:36 EST 2008

Hi Finn,

I have an 11 month old boy who was born at Brigham and Womens through HUHS.
I spent my entire pregnancy with HUHS, so I have interacted with all the OBs
in the practice, if you have specific questions about any of them.  While I
didn't have a C section, I didn't have the smoothest delivery, so I know how
my OB behaves when things go wrong.  I had a scheduled induction (10 days
post due date) with my primary OB, Dr. Gail Guzelian, and I highly recommend
her.  My son had pooped in the womb, which in some cases signals fetal
distress, and I really appreciate how Dr. Guzelian handled the delivery,
being cautious enough to be safe, yet not over paranoid.  He had a somewhat
scary birth (cord wrapped around the neck), and Dr. Guzelian told me that if
he doesn't come out by a certain time, she would bring out forceps or a
vacuum.  I was really against using these devices, but in retrospect, her
instincts were completely right - I managed to push him out 1 minute before
the "deadline", and it was right in time.  His 1 minute apgar score (which
takes into account vital signs) was very low, but luckily Dr. Guzelian had
arranged for a team from pediatrics to be present for the birth, and she got
my son out quickly and passed him right to them for resuscitation and
suctioning.  Because of their quick and capable actions, in 5 minutes my son
went from an apgar score of 3 to a score of 9.  I was really hoping for a
natural unmedicated birth during my pregnancy, but I am so thankful that I
delivered at Brigham and Womens with an OB who knew what she was doing and
with all the resources they have in case anything does go wrong.

When I was pregnant I was a little jealous of everyone who got the midwife
service through Mt. Auburn, and I was really worried about delivering at a
hospital with so many high risk deliveries where I assumed they would shove
interventions down my throat.  This is more for other parents on the list
who have these concerns - Dr. Guzelian and my nurse were very supportive of
my desires to have a natural childbirth.  I didn't end up needing pitocin
(just waters broken), and they were happy about that, and totally willing to
let me do my own thing and didn't once offer an epidural (because I told
them not to offer - however, when I asked for one, I got it, and it was
great!).

I know no one wants to hear scary childbirth experience stories during
pregnancy, and I'm sure everything will go great for you, but I just wanted
to give my perspective.  Good luck and congratulations!

Best,
Meytal
G6 in Earth and Planetary Sciences