[Parentsgroup-list] Daycare Injury

Christine Wenc christinewenc at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 10:49:53 EST 2008

I agree that you are right to be worried but also that toddlers often
have bumps and bruises.  I'll just say, though, that I had a nightmare
experience with a daycare when my son was about 2 (NOT a Harvard
daycare) that resulted in an actual criminal case being brought
against the daycare from the town it was in -- and it started with
unexplained bruises -- which admittedly began in a very strange place
(his ear, as if someone had been yanking on it).

We got out of there and he's fine, but.  Little injuries do
occasionally indicate something much worse is going on.  My experience
was at a totally respectable large home day care in a lovely house
with three teachers with college degrees etc.  I did find out that
studies show day care centers  (like the ones at Harvard) are far
safer than home day cares -- big centers are your safest bet in part
because there are usually few hidden corners or rooms that are not
visible to all the staff all the time.  Makes it much more difficult
for another kid or a staff member to do bad things when no one is
looking.  One of the reasons the Harvard grad student parents' group
was started was to give grad students affordable access to the Harvard
centers.

They are supposed to report every injury and tell you about it, so
make sure they do.  You can also call the state child care services
office and see if there have been any complaints, but I found that
office to be sort of a joke -- perhaps caring, but WAY understaffed,
and, among other things, people with criminal records, including
violent ones, actually CAN be hired as day care workers in MA if the
center thinks it's OK.  The process of being licensed as a home day
care provider is also laughably brief, and there are basically no
state inspections once the license is given.

It's very hard to hand your 2-year-old over to someone else for care
no matter how great the place is, and one of the things you have to
get used to is that you really have no idea of knowing what actually
happens when you are separated.  I do think that most of the time
everything is fine (we had a great subsequent experience with the
Harvard Yard Child Care Center), but I did find out the hard way that
very occasionally, it's not.  If you're getting a weird feeling, then
find out more about what's going on.  (Can you observe the class for a
few days?)

--Christine W.