[Parentsgroup-list] Daycare Injury

Manjari C. Miller mchatter at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Nov 15 10:18:48 EST 2008

I think it's your right to be worried. At the same time, with toddlers
there are often unexplainable small injuries. My two year old comes home
sometimes with little bumps or "booboos" that may or may not have an
explanation. Kids that age do bump into things and scratch themselves
while playing--not to mention their playmates may inflict scratches
without even meaning to. Our daycare (PTCC) reports the more major
injuries--ie deep scratches (from a friend); bump when he hit the floor
hard; or a bit (the last two had no marks and I would not have known). But
there have been times I've noticed a little mark that my son has no
explanation for (usually he'll say "C bit me" etc if asked). If it doesn't
bother him--which most of the time it doesn't--I let it go. Unless there
is blood or residual pain or other more severe consequences, I would chalk
it up to the hazards of being a toddler.

However, for your peace of mind, you could continue to ask the teachers
each time you notice something. That's your right. And whether they think
you're paranoid or not is irrelevant. But for what it's worth, toddlers
don't need long fingernails to scratch themselves and leave marks (or at
least mine doesn't).