[Parentsgroup-list] toddler traveling - harness pros/cons?

Andrea Heberlein heberlein at wjh.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 10 11:21:26 EST 2008

Seconding the present idea-- I took a couple of 13-hour flights with
my son at 15 months and books of stickers (with pads of paper for
sticking them on), and various other doodads (spinning light-up toys,
etc.) were a life-saver.

Another thing to consider: I'm not sure if your kid is still nursing
(or ever did), but pressure changes on planes can be extra painful
for little ears, and swallowing during take-off and landing can help
a lot.  (One less reason to scream en route!)  Our ped. recommended
tangy candies (e.g. Skittles) for our kid when he was a little older
than yours is now-- he now thinks of Skittles as "airplane candy".
Bottles or sippy cups of some favored liquid are good too-- the only
time our kid got undiluted apple juice was for flights, because we
could be sure he'd guzzle it at take-off and landing.

Good luck--
A.