[Parentsgroup-list] toddler traveling - harness pros/cons?

Ceceley Chambers cchambers at hds.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 10 10:43:44 EST 2008

The best advice I got about traveling with toddlers is the present idea:  Y=
ou get a bunch of little toys, books, small activity set type things and wr=
ap them.  As the trip progresses you give her one toy to unwrap and play wi=
th, and as gets bored with one item you give her a new item to unwrap!  Thi=
s worked so well for my daughter when she was that age and it still works w=
hen they get older (the last time we traveled she was 4 and it still worked=
 beautifully).  Also, you don't necessarily have to buy new things, you mig=
ht even be able to take some of her older toys that she doesn't play with a=
s much and wrap those.  The fun is in the unwrapping and discovery.

As for the harness, I have always frowned upon them for many reasons- but t=
he main one being that it really doesn't gave her that much more freedom.  =
I always found that a back-carrier or stroller and lots of snacks worked we=
ll for us as we walked around the airport and pointed out all of the new an=
d exciting things.

Good luck!

Ceceley

Ceceley Chambers