[Parentsgroup-list] lead problems

Noam Y. Kirson kirson at fas.harvard.edu
Fri May 9 09:22:30 EDT 2008

Hi,

I know there was a rather active discussion in this forum a while back about
deleaded apartments. We're currently looking to move to Brookline (Coolidge
Corner area) July 1, and seem to have hit a wall: we have two children (5 and
1) and have been searching for almost 2 months now. the problem is finding a
deleaded place. We have spoken to at least 10 realtors and some landlords
(either through craigslist or directly). One of their first questions is if we
have children and how old they are (which they ask directly or indirectly).
When they hear that we have kids, they find ways to avoid showing us the
apartments. Some fully admit is because of lead issues.

We would be very grateful for help in two ways:
(a) tips on how to deal with landlords/realtors. we know they're not allowed to
screen and discriminate, but defacto that's what happens.
(b) if anyone knows of a 2 or 3br in the Coolidge Corner area (Devotion school
district), any leads would be great.

Thanks,

Noam (econ department)