[Parentsgroup-list] Kids at graduation--the facts

wenc at fas.harvard.edu wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Thu May 1 21:22:39 EDT 2008

>From Dean Garth McCavana.  --Christine
---------------------------------

Children are most welcome at Commencement.

Here's how things work. If children are to be in Sanders during the
ceremony, they will need to use one of the two tickets alloted to
each graduating student. They can't sit with the graduating students,
and must sit in the audience with whoever is accompanying them.

Most families find, however, that the ceremony is a lot for young kids to
bear so someone from the family accompanies them to the Family Area
that we have designated. There is a TV there where an eye can be kept
on the ceremony and when the parent's department is getting close to
being called, one of the GSAS staff members accompanies the
child(ren) to the auditorium where they meet up with the parent who
is in line to receive the degree. The parent and child(ren) cross the
stage together. The parent receives his/her diploma and the child
receives what we call a "baby diploma" that states that they were in
attendance at their parent's graduation ceremony. The parent and
child then exit the stage. The parent returns to the auditorium and
the child returns with the staff member to the Family Area.