[Parentsgroup-list] Cooperative Childcare Group

Miriam Shakow shakow at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 17 10:31:46 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,
I agree with Christine that organizing a group within your local =

neighborhood is important, having done some informal babysitting trades =

myself. A very successful group I know of does it this way: There are =

five children. Each family contributes one parent during one day per =

week, and they have one babysitter who comes every day and accompanies =

the parent on duty for that day. So, each family pays a modest sum: the =

cost of the babysitter divided by five (the number of children), plus =

one day of labor. The key is also to have a good space in which all the =

parents and children feel comfortable.

Take care,
Miriam

On 3/16/08 8:58 PM, wenc at fas.harvard.edu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've done a couple of babysitting co-ops, and this was by far the best 'd=
ay
> care' I did when my son was very small.  (he's 5 now)
>
> My suggestion is that once you have a couple of people in a neighborhood =
who are
> interested, to just start trading days or however you organize it.  I fou=
nd that
> the physical location of the participants was one of the biggest factors =
in how
> successful the co-op was.
>
> If you are in JP, there is a Yahoo group (or two?) for JP moms, including=
 one
> for co-ops.  As far as I know the groups still exist, so just search the =
Yahoo