[Parentsgroup-list] Early Childhood Learning Center

Benjamin Cooper Waterhouse waterh at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Mar 16 20:50:10 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

Since people often ask questions about childcare options on this list, I
wanted to share a very strong endorsement for a wonderful place we've been
sending my 2 year old for a few months.

The First Steps Early Childhood Center is a new multi-classroom daycare
facility. My son Gabriel absolutely adores it. They have very professional
teachers, clean and safe facilities, an organized and appropriate
curriculum, and very competitive rates. They have classrooms for infants,
toddlers, and pre-schoolers, all with individualized learning agendas,
including things like numbers and shapes, sign language, even Spanish.

>From my experience, the best thing about a larger center like this, rather
than an in-home family day-care, is the amount of socialization the kids
get, under the structured, loving guidance of the staff. I've noticed huge
strides in my son's ability to share and play well with others, which was
lacking when he was only with one or two other kids in family daycare.

First Steps is on Middlesex Ave in Medford, just north of Rt. 16, so it's
convenient for people in Somerville and Cambridge. They are currently
enrolling in all three age-level classrooms. The prices for full days are
$55/day for infants, $53/day for toddlers, and $48/day for preschoolers.
Most kids go for 3, 4, or 5 days a week, and they are flexible about how
many days a week (unlike the Harvard affiliated centers).

Their website is www.firststepsearlylearningcenter.com, so you can see
more about them there. Or, please feel free to email me if you'd like to
know more. I really can't say enough good things about them, and just
wanted to pass this on.

Ben Waterhouse
History Department
(Dad to Gabriel, 2 yrs)