[Parentsgroup-list] Travelling with an infant/ spending summer in Europe

Catherine Ruth Pakaluk pakaluk at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 11 15:54:42 EDT 2008

I've done significant time in Europe with babies of various ages, always
under 1 year.  I've used strollers and also backpacks.  My definite
preference at this point is to travel with the following:
--a good sling or wrap if my baby is under 6 months, which doubles as a
safety restraint on planes and in taxicabs and trains; it also serves as
a carrier for when I don't want the stroller (i.e. strollers are a pain
on the Paris Metro); it's also so lightweight that I can tuck it away
easily;  I use a Maya wrap but there are lots of others (see the
--a lightweight backpack if my baby is closer to 1 year and even younger
if I am going to be doing any hiking
--a single umbrella stroller, the 9 lb. Maclaren with the mesh seat and
shoulder strap, which stays in my room except for the times I am going
to be on my feet a LONG time and can't shoulder the baby for so long
--for sleeping I bring the Graco TravelLite play yard, which is a tiny
version of their terrific pack-n-play; it has served me even in the
smallest hotels in Europe.  unless you co-sleep then you're all set
without a crib.

Those are my tips. The basic point is to travel light (no big car-seat
stroller combinations, no car-seat period) but to have options (wearing
your baby, front or back; and pushing your baby).

Have fun in Paris!
Catherine

P.S.  You should also know that it's super-smart to spend time in Paris
with a baby; museums will let you cut to the front of the line in most
circumstances if you have a baby with you-----can't tell you how great
this was in Paris----we could drop in on a museum for a couple of hours,
leave for lunch (much better than the cafeteria), and pop back in for
another hour after lunch.  Other visitors had to wait hours just to get
in.  We were so delighted when we figured this out.  We vowed to
*always* bring a baby when we went to Paris, even if we had to borrow one!