[Parentsgroup-list] swaddling

Catherine Ruth Pakaluk pakaluk at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 25 15:55:35 EDT 2008

Dear Maryann,

I agree with several of the last posts.  I have swaddled my last three =

children until at least 6 months for nighttime sleeping---they preferred =

it and we got more sleep.  My youngest is 6 months old now and strong =

enough to get out of the Miracle Blanket when he wakes up---which he =

does promptly around 8 or 8:30 am each morning.  He wriggles out and =

then rolls over.  He even seems to enjoy wriggling out of it.  I do not =

use it for daytime naps anymore---but he literally smiles and gets =

excited when I  pull it out for bedtime.  He enjoys the security and the =

closeness.  I have swaddled up until 8 months in the past and I've never =

observed any adverse consequence or had any developmental problems. =

I agree with what the others said----follow what your child seems to =

enjoy.  You'll see as he gets older that he'll have no trouble getting =

out if he wants to----but a good night's sleep is always best for baby =

and mommy.  If swaddling helps that, and he loves it, just keep it up. =

All the best,
Catherine
Dept. of Economics