[Parentsgroup-list] swaddling

Jennifer Roloff Welch roloffje at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 13:42:28 EDT 2008

Dear Maryann,
We swaddled our first child, our daughter, for a long time---She was even
swaddled lightly until she was one year old. She liked it, and it made her
feel safe and cozy, so we kept on doing it. As she got older in months, we
swaddled more loosely so she could get out if she wanted to, but she never
wanted to while she was sleeping. The swaddling was a comfort and didn't do
any harm. Now she's a very active and vibrant 2 1/2 year old.

With our second child, our son, we swaddled for only a few weeks but he did
not like it at all. He prefers to have his hands free so that he can suck on
his fingers. He's six months old now.

Each of our children was different, and we just really listened to and paid
attention to what they seemed to prefer.

Hope this helps with the decision.

Jenni

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Manjari C. Miller <
mchatter at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> I agree. We swaddled our son till he was 3 months and then stopped. We us=
ed
> the miracle blanket because it was the only thing he couldn't kick off. W=
hen
> to stop is definitely a question for a pediatrician you trust because the=
re
> are many arguments about this.
>

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Candice Belanoff wrote:
>
> I'm sure there are differing opinions on the subject, but I'd say this is=
>> question for a trusted pediatrician.
>>
>> --candice
>>
>> Candice Belanoff, MPH
>> Doctoral Candidate
>> Department of Society, Human Development and Health
>> Harvard School of Public Health
>>
>>  Maryann Shenoda <mshenoda at fas.harvard.edu> 7/25/2008 12:47 PM >>>

>> My husband and I have been swaddling our three month old son since he
>> was born, but we've heard that its best to stop swaddling by three
>> months.  We've tried to stop swaddling him and he cannot sleep because
>> his arms flail all over the place and he cries most of the night.  Any
>> ideas about when to stop swaddling and what to do if your baby can't
>> sleep without swaddling?
>> thanks,
>> Maryann

>> Maryann M. Shenoda