[Parentsgroup-list] Reminder: This is a grad student list.

Christine Wenc christinewenc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 14:33:39 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

Just a gentle reminder that this is a list for Harvard grad students
-- not faculty or staff.  Among other things, grad student parents
have organized to address issues like the fact that grad students are
not allowed to use Parents in a Pinch or the recently mentioned backup
program, like faculty and staff can.  This list was formed in part to
help grad student find alternate arrangements, like babysitting trades
or nanny shares.

Technically, anyone who's not a grad student should not be a member of
this list. (I myself will be exiting soon, since I have graduated.)  I
know there are people who are not grad students here, and we're
certainly not going to hunt you down, especially since I know that at
the moment there is no other Harvard-wide email list for Harvard
parents in general and that much useful info comes through this list.
Anyone in the world can join it, in fact, if they go to the signup
page; we haven't reached the point of monitoring that.

But -- anyone who posts to the list should keep in mind who it is for,
and make sure your comments apply to grad students.  Thanks!

Best wishes,
Christine Wenc
current list administrator, exiting co-chair of the GSAS Grad Student
Parents Organization

On 7/15/08, Ian Stokes-Rees <ijstokes at alumni.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> The other thing to look into is the Harvard Backup Advantage Programme,
> which costs $15 per child per day (max 20 or 25 days per year), and a total
> of $25 if more than one child requires care on a given day.  It is run by
> Bright Horizon's and there are centers around Boston.  I used two centers a
> few weeks ago when my wife was at a conference in the UK, and both were very
> well run (Cambridge at Kendal Square, and Watertown, behind the Aresenal
> Mall).  Eligibility may depend on what part of Harvard you work for, and
> possibly also your salary, although I'm not sure.  There is also a $350
> reimbursement system if your salary is under (I believe) $70k for any
> emergency dependent care coverage.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian
>
> Jennifer Anderson wrote:
> Hi Pia,
>
> I just moved to the Boston area and a neighbor told me about Parents in a
> Pinch. apparently they can provide emergency childcare even on the same day
> you call them, though it is probably not cheap. I haven't really looked into
> it yet, but he website is:
> http://www.parentsinapinch.com/Professional-Babysitting-Services.aspx
>
> Good luck!
>
> Jennifer Anderson
>
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Pia Owens <powens at law.harvard.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Two questions: In general, what do you do when your kid is sick and you
> both have to be somewhere? And specifically, do you know anybody who's
> available to be called at the last minute for babysitting?
> >
> > My son's been sick on and off since last week and it's wreaking havoc on
> my husband's and my work schedules... but we don't have family in the area
> or anybody to call. It's probably too late for this week, but I'd like to
> have a plan for the future.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Pia

Parentsgroup-list