[Parentsgroup-list] Re the sick kid problem

Kara Swanson kswanson at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 15 13:57:17 EDT 2008

Note that a lot of local employers, including Harvard for its employees =

(but not us students) maintain a corporate membership to Parents in a =

Pinch, which helps bring down the cost (not per hour, but start up costs =

to join).  So if you have an employed spouse, check with them (or if you =

are a summer associate with a law firm, see if you are eligible -- most =

law firms are members).  I understand that some Harvard schools (not =

GSAS) allow their students to use Parents in a Pinch through the school, =

at least on a limited basis. =

Parents in a Pinch *will* cope with mildly ill kids.  Most babysitting =

services *won't* -- imagine taking care of someone else's cranky, =

demanding and contagious child, at the risk of losing several days' work =

yourself -- and in 11 years of parenting, my kids getting sick has =

wreaked havoc with my work schedule and my husband's time and again, =

year after year. The only solution we've used is to split the day =

between us so we each get some work time, and work far into the night as =

needed.   I don't think it is a particularly solvable problem! =

Good luck,

Kara

>Today's Parentsgroup Digest:

>Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Emergency nanny for sick days? (Pia Owens)
>   2. Re: Emergency nanny for sick days? (Jennifer Anderson)
>  =

> Subject:
> [Parentsgroup-list] Emergency nanny for sick days?
> From:
> "Pia Owens" <powens at law.harvard.edu>
> Date:
> Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:37:35 -0400
> To:
> parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>
> To:
> parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>

> Hi all,
>  =

> Two questions: In general, what do you do when your kid is sick and =

> you both have to be somewhere? And specifically, do you know anybody =

> who's available to be called at the last minute for babysitting?
>  =

> My son's been sick on and off since last week and it's wreaking havoc =

> on my husband's and my work schedules... but we don't have family in =

> the area or anybody to call. It's probably too late for this week, but =

> I'd like to have a plan for the future.
>  =

> Thanks,
> Pia

> Re: [Parentsgroup-list] Emergency nanny for sick days?
> From:
> "Jennifer Anderson" <jengoodand at googlemail.com>
> Date:
> Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:47:35 -0400
> To:
> "Pia Owens" <powens at law.harvard.edu>
>
> To:
> "Pia Owens" <powens at law.harvard.edu>
> CC:
> parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>

> Hi Pia,
>
> I just moved to the Boston area and a neighbor told me about Parents =

> in a Pinch. apparently they can provide emergency childcare even on =

> the same day you call them, though it is probably not cheap. I haven't =

> really looked into it yet, but he website is: =

> http://www.parentsinapinch.com/Professional-Babysitting-Services.aspx
>
> Good luck!
>
> Jennifer Anderson
>
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Pia Owens <powens at law.harvard.edu =

> <mailto:powens at law.harvard.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>      =

>     Two questions: In general, what do you do when your kid is sick
>     and you both have to be somewhere? And specifically, do you know
>     anybody who's available to be called at the last minute for
>     babysitting?
>      =

>     My son's been sick on and off since last week and it's wreaking
>     havoc on my husband's and my work schedules... but we don't have
>     family in the area or anybody to call. It's probably too late for
>     this week, but I'd like to have a plan for the future.
>      =

> [...]

-- =

Kara W. Swanson, B.S., M.A., J.D.
Ph.D. Candidate