[Parentsgroup-list] More letters needed for Paid Parental Leave Act

Christine Wenc christinewenc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 13:31:16 EDT 2008

FYI.  -- Christine

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Katie, MomsRising.org <momsrising at mail.democracyinaction.org>
Date: Aug 20, 2008 1:10 PM
Subject: Scratching our heads

   Give Paid Parental Leave for Federal Employees another push at this
crucial time!

*Tell your Senators to support this important and groundbreaking bill! *

[image: take action]<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=3D2=
&c=3DUeJJrOAcDtXDLiMyMciJs6ZsuuBFFP0K>
Take Action<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=3D2&c=3DsjWI=
x6OoIH%2BKTVkyX9Sn4qZsuuBFFP0K>

Dear MomsRising.org member,

We're scratching our heads over here and need your help. We just got word
from our partners in Washington, DC, that some Senators feel they haven't
heard enough from their constituents about the Federal Employee Paid
Parental Leave Act!  We know thousands of letters have already gone in from
MomsRising members, and now we need you to do it again!

*Let's pump up the volume and show the Senate that real people, real moms
really, really support the Federal Employees Paid Parental Leave Act.
*Let's shower them with messages so no one has the excuse that they
aren't
hearing from parents. Make them scratch their heads about how many citizen
contact letters have come in supporting this policy!

Take action at:
http://www.momsrising.org/Senate_PaidParentalLeave<http://salsa.democracyin=
action.org/dia/track.jsp?v=3D2&c=3Dl9EfCprv0Hm67dsSSa9gCqZsuuBFFP0K>

*Now is the perfect time to contact your Senators.* Why?  Well, U.S.
Senators are heading to their respective party conventions this week.
Contacting them today will make sure they carry the message to their party
leadership that Federal Employees Paid Parental Leave is an urgent and
important issue that they need to act on now!

*First federal employees, then the rest of the people in our nation!*
Everyone needs paid leave and it's past time to start putting this policy in
place.  We know that paid parental leave helps provide children with a
healthy start and keep families out of poverty.  Yet, the United States lags
behind every developed country in the world in offering paid leave to new
mothers.

It's time for the federal government to become a model employer by offering
their workforce paid parental leave, and to pave the way for the rest of the
nation to follow.

With more than 1.8 million civilian employees, the federal government is the
nation's largest employer.  Currently, federal workers don't have any
guarantee of paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child.  Some have
accrued paid sick or vacation time that they may be able to use while on
unpaid FMLA leave.  However, others, especially younger workers who haven't
accrued sick or vacation time, have no choice but to take unpaid leave.

If passed, the Federal Employees Paid Parental Leave Act guarantees
qualifying federal workers four weeks of paid parental leave for the birth
or adoption of a new child.  It would also enable federal workers to use up
to eight weeks of accrued paid sick time immediately following the first
four weeks of parental leave.

*Urge your elected Senators to support the Federal Employees Paid Parental
Leave Act, and also forward this e-mail to friends, family, and co-workers
and urge them to get involved today! * If the Senate doesn't hear from us
now, this historic bill could be ignored.  Your voice will make a
difference.

http://www.momsrising.org/Senate_PaidParentalLeave<http://salsa.democracyin=
action.org/dia/track.jsp?v=3D2&c=3DGtWajjC7E3glMINxbOM%2FxKZsuuBFFP0K>

With the help of MomsRising.org members, New Jersey and Washington state
recently made history by passing paid leave policies.   Now, we have another
chance to bring paid leave to more than 1.8 million working people across
the country.

Here's to making history together! -- Kristin, Joan, Katie, Mary, Nanette,
and the MomsRising team

A special thank you to the National Partnership for Women & Families for all
the amazing work they're doing on this and many other issues.

4lyvfRASnHG3ORgdJPKZsuuBFFP0K>

Like what we're doing? Donate: We're a bootstrap, low overhead, mom run
organization.<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=3D2&c=3Dg2=
%2FgdRHZ0A5gRf%2B0K8gAAKZsuuBFFP0K>Your
donations make the work of MomsRising.org possible--and we deeply
appreciate your support. Every little bit counts. Donate today on our new,
secure website.