[Parentsgroup-list] baby bike seats

Ben Hurlbut jhurlbut at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 11 13:32:21 EDT 2008

if you're not committed to a seat, you should look into trailers too.
We've got a burley bike trailer that we use all the time.  My daughter
(just under 2) loves it.  Pluses are: lots of space for books and
stuffed friends to ride along, lots of storage space-- enough to carry
a substantial load of groceries, doesn't change the feel of riding
your bike except for a bit more drag on the uphills, can fit two kids
very comfortably, kid stays happy and dry in the rain, very stable.
Its also very handy for hauling things other than kids and there's
always plenty of parking. The only downside is that it is hard to
carry on a conversation with the little one-- though not impossible by
any means.  On the safety side, if you fall, the trailer stays upright
(with most models, at least-- this is something to keep in mind while
shopping).  even if the trailer flips over, a helmeted and harnessed
kid is pretty safe and secure inside.  The main risk is from cars.
But a couple of tall orange flags/reflectors and it is very visible.
In my experience drivers seem to respect me a lot more when they see
the trailer than when it is just me.  They can be expensive items, but
we found ours on craigslist (essentially unused) for about the same
price as the better quality bike-mounted seats.  There are some
inexpensive, but by all accounts perfectly good models out there that
you can have for around $100 new.