[Parentsgroup-list] baby bike seats

Ian Stokes-Rees ijstokes at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Aug 11 11:04:16 EDT 2008

We have a Rhode Gear Co-Pilot rear-mounted seat:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___54600

It is great and our daughter has been using it from ~8 months to 3.5
years.  She is now too big for it.

Yes, it does significantly change the balance of the bike.

My daughter was happy in it for rides of over 2 hours, and they can see
around quite well.

We also had one crash, and my daughter hardly knew anything had
happened, due to the good protection the seat provided.

The major disadvantage of the front mounted seats is that you have to
adopt an unnatural riding posture otherwise your knees will hit the
seat.  For my wife and I, both 6', this was an impossible inconvenience
and we could not have done more than 10 or 15 minutes like that, hence
the need for a rear-mounted seat.

Ian