[Parentsgroup-list] Breastfeeding isn't a crime.

Miriam Shakow shakow at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 10 12:55:46 EDT 2008

Hi Everyone,
I thought some of you might want to sign on to this Breastfeeding Promotion=
 act.

---------------------------------

Dear Friend, =

Just a couple of months ago, a mother was kicked out of a museum in New Yor=
k for breastfeeding, a perfectly legal act in that state. [1]  Mothers cont=
inue to suffer discrimination and humiliation for breastfeeding, even thoug=
h doctors recommend breastfeeding for all infants. Clearly we need Congress=
 to pass the Breastfeeding Promotion Act (H.R. 3799) now--before more mothe=
rs are stigmatized and humiliated for breastfeeding.  =

But this Act is currently stalled in Congress, and isn?t going to move forw=
ard without increased citizen pressure.  You can supply that pressure.

CONTACT YOUR CONGRESSPERSON NOW:  http://www.momsrising.org/CosponsorBreast=
feedingAct

(And forward this email to friends now so they can take action too.  All of=
 our voices are needed to get the Breastfeeding Promotion Act moving forwar=
d).

MomsRising members have successfully raised awareness about the need to pro=
tect the rights of breastfeeding mothers in the past and can do it again.  =
Last year, MomsRising members and other activists changed Delta Airlines co=
rporate policies when a mother was kicked off a flight for breastfeeding.

We can harness this same power to push through the Breastfeeding Promotion =
Act, but we need your help contacting Congress.  Let's support mothers who =
are nurturing and caring for the next generation of Americans. Those nursin=
g babies may not be able to vote, but their mothers can!

Forward this email so your friends and family can contact their representat=
ives too.  It?s going to take all of our voices, and then some to get this =
legislation moving forward.  We need tens of thousands of messages to go to=
 Congress supporting breastfeeding.

Here's that link again in case you need it: http://www.momsrising.org/Cospo=
nsorBreastfeedingAct

Thank you! =

 [1] http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S352021.shtml?cat=3D10114

P.S. THE LOWDOWN ON THE BREASTFEEDING PROMOTION ACT: Representative Carolyn=
 Maloney's Breastfeeding Promotion Act (H.R. 3799) would amend the 1964 Civ=
il Rights Act to protect breastfeeding by new mothers by providing tax cred=
its to employers who provide a place to breastfeed and/or provide breast pu=
mps.  This makes it a lot easier for women who want to give their babies br=
eastmilk and keep their jobs.  As you may know, 82% of American women becom=
e mothers by the time they are forty-four years old, so this issue is criti=
cally important to a large portion of our nation.  To read the bill, visit =
s/xml/110/h2236.ih.xml at billmerge&numHits=3D1&currDoc=3D1&currentPage=3D1&11=
0%3Cin%3Econgress%29&congress=3D110">The Library of Congress Website</a>