[Parentsgroup-list] RE: G-clock extension

brumblay at fas.harvard.edu brumblay at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 3 22:28:27 EDT 2008

Hi all,
 Sorry if this is adds to the confusion but I was under the impression that in
order for your G-clock to stop you had to file a leave of absence
(maternity/paternity leave) with the registrar, and you also have to notify
your department to request that they stop your G-clock. Before this year I was
a G4, my son was born in November, and so when I "return" to school next fall,
I will start the year as a G5.  Information about this is in the GSAS handbook
(don't know the page number off the top of my head).
   Best, Natalie Brumblay Mason

Quoting Melissa Inouye <inouye at fas.harvard.edu>:

> I was told when I had my baby that although the department's clock
> would stop, the official registrar's clock would not and it is THIS
> clock (the official registrar's clock) that determines grants and
> teaching fellowships.  When I had my baby I asked if it would be
> possible for me to "reserve" my teaching fellowships in the G3 and G4
> years for a year or so later, and my department (and the registrar's
> office) said NO.  Because of my husband's schooling, I was not in
> Cambridge for the G3 and G4 years, so I just had to forfeit those
> teaching fellowships for those years.
>

> On Apr 3, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Bracha, Abigail Land wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am on the Graduate Student Council and have been working on the
> > issue of parental accommodation. I just wanted to get the word out
> > that it is GSAS policy that students who have a child receive an
> > automatic G-clock extension. This is done by the department. The
> > registrar's clock will continue to tick, but your department clock
> > is supposed to stop, making you eligible for grants, teaching etc.
> > This is current policy and we need to make sure that it is being
> > implemented.
> > Abby

Never doubt that a small group of thoughful, committed people can change the
world.  Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.  -Margaret Mead