[Parentsgroup-list] RE: G-clock extension

Candice M. Etson etson at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 3 13:18:30 EDT 2008

Posting this for everyone -

You do NOT need to actually take a year off. I took NO leave of absence, and yet
my department automatically gave me the G-clock extension when I had my second
child two years ago. This policy is supposed to help parents stay on an equal
footing with students who do not have children. It is not intended to force you
to take time off.

Interestingly, I have heard that when these kinds of policies are not made
automatic, people don't ask for the extensions. Now the policy her is supposed
to be automatic, but be sure you check that you get what little accommodation
you are entitled to.

Candice Etson
Biophysics, G5