[Parentsgroup-list] Alternate after hr visit

Joy Geren joygeren at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 09:56:30 EDT 2007

For what it's worth I have been extremely impressed by Children's ER. This
could be because I have only been there for a "life threatening emergency"
(which turned out to be nothing), but if there is any doubt about the
severity of the situation it is extremely reassuring to have the tremedous
skills of the Children's team on hand. I have also been extremely impressed
going there for minor things, such as a blood draw on my then 1-month-old.
Well worth the time to have it done right.

 If it is worth dragging my kid out in the middle of the night it is worth
the 4+ hours it takes to make sure he gets the best care. It could also be
that I am a lazy parent and ignore things that others would take more
seriously, but that it just my take on things. I consider have Children's
Hospital available one of the biggest benefits of living in Boston.

-Joy

On 9/23/07, ludi mahadi <arliadi.mahadi at gmail.com> wrote:

> May I tag along the question below for a related question?
> If so, I am wondering what would people do if one would not be able to
> go with HUHS for an after hour 'somewhat emergency care'. What I meant
> by that was something like an increasing high fever in the middle of
> the night, etc. In our experience at another state, in some cases our
> pediatrician wanted our baby to go to ER for a thorough examination,
> where we ended up staying for a good 4-5 hrs- not so pleasant
> experience vs. the convenient 24 hrs HUHS I suppose
>
> thanks in advance for your insight,
>
> ludi
>
> On 9/21/07, Andrea Heberlein <heberlein at wjh.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > Seconding that recommendation-- we see Dr. Schofield and have been
> > very happy for all the reasons listed.  It is a schlep from East or
> > Mid-Cambridge, though, especially during rush hour.
> >
> > Andrea
> >
> > At 2:13 PM -0400 9/21/07, Deborah Freedman Woods wrote:
> > >We love our pediatrician, who's located on Mass Ave. in
> > >Arlington, about 5 minutes from the Cambridge border.  We
> > >see Elizabeth Chamberlain Landis.  The other doctors in the
> > >practice are Matthew Scofield and Rajee Joyce.  All of them
> > >are fantastic (our favorite is Dr. Landis with Dr. Scofield
> > >a close second).
> > >
> > >They always have same-day appointments for sick visits, they
> > >have drop in hours every day 8:00-8:45am, and they're also
> > >available on the weekends as needed.  They're extremely
> > >knowledgeable and thorough, but don't tend to push
> > >medications more than necessary.  Contact info is:
> > >
> > >Arlington Pediatric Associates
> > >5 Water Street
> > >Arlington 02476
> > >(781) 641-5800
> > >
> > >I know it's not as convenient as the Cambridge Hospital, but
> > >worth considering.
> > >
> > >Best,
> > >Deb Woods

> Cambridge