[Parentsgroup-list] Alternate after hr visit

SPSUCH at aol.com SPSUCH at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 12:47:03 EDT 2007

My understanding was that HUHS had no after hours care for pediatrics. If y=
ou =

called, the pediatrician on call would be paged and call you back but, if t=
he =

baby needed to be seen, you'd be sent to Children's. There was no one for =

pediatric care at Holyoke Center after hours. Am I wrong about this? (I hop=
e I =

am, because I can only imagine what a nightmare Children's is!).

Sara Suchman

In a message dated 9/23/07 12:12:56 PM, ziva.mann at gmail.com writes:

> Hmm.
>  =A0
>  Okay, so there's two considerations: first, the HUHS after hours is set =
up =

> for minor issues, but not major ones. So you'd need to work out with your=
 ped =

> just how worried they are, and how seriously the issue needs to be taken. =

> Few docs take=A0risks with babies - uniformly, the care for an infant is =
pretty =

> aggressive=A0in conventional medicine.=A0If the ped suggested the ER rath=
er =

> than=A0the HUHS urgent care clinic (after hours), it's because there was =
a =

> possibility of a real emergency. But some pediatricians are more medicall=
y aggressive, =

> others more anxious, some afraid of litigation - so caveat medical emptor=
. I =

> find one way to tell is to ask them to explain to me what, exactly, they =
are =

> worried about. Then I ask questions.
>  =A0
>  The second issue is convenience. A run to the Childrens Hospital ER take=
s =

> on average 4-6 hours. If the medical concern is low-level, then the urgen=
t =

> care clinic would work. If it's mid-level, the urgent care clinic with th=
e =

> option of going to the ER could work. Also, if it's mid-level, I find Cam=
bridge =

> Hospital to be faster than Childrens. But I've been to Cambridge Hosptial=
 for a =

> high to mid-level emergency, and I was not impressed. Thety are a communi=
ty =

> hospital, and are set up to handle moderate urgent care - all the real na=
sty =

> stuff goes to the Longwood area. And they told us so. I don't have experi=
ence =

> with Mt Auburn, but I'd suspect the situation there is similar.
>  =A0
>  Again, it's a matter of understanding and being able to weigh the risks. =

> Which makes it all the more important to have a pedicatrician that you tr=
ust =

> and with whom you communicate well.
>  =A0
>  -Ziva
> =

> =A0
>  On 9/23/07, ludi mahadi <arliadi.mahadi at gmail.com> wrote:
>  May I tag along the question below for a related question?
> If so, I am wondering what would people do if one would not be able to
> go with HUHS for an after hour 'somewhat emergency care'. What I meant
> by that was something like an increasing high fever in the middle of
> the night, etc. In our experience at another state, in some cases our
> pediatrician wanted our baby to go to ER for a thorough examination,
> where we ended up staying for a good 4-5 hrs- not so pleasant
> experience vs. the convenient 24 hrs HUHS I suppose
> =

> thanks in advance for your insight,
> =

> ludi
> =

> On 9/21/07, Andrea Heberlein <heberlein at wjh.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > Seconding that recommendation-- we see Dr. Schofield and have been
> > very happy for all the reasons listed.=A0=A0It is a schlep from East or
> > Mid-Cambridge, though, especially during rush hour.
> >
> > Andrea
> >
> > At 2:13 PM -0400 9/21/07, Deborah Freedman Woods wrote:
> > >We love our pediatrician, who's located on Mass Ave. in
> > >Arlington, about 5 minutes from the Cambridge border.=A0=A0We
> > >see Elizabeth Chamberlain Landis.=A0=A0The other doctors in the
> > >practice are Matthew Scofield and Rajee Joyce.=A0=A0All of them
> > >are fantastic (our favorite is Dr. Landis with Dr. Scofield
> > >a close second).
> > >
> > >They always have same-day appointments for sick visits, they
> > >have drop in hours every day 8:00-8:45am, and they're also
> > >available on the weekends as needed.=A0=A0They're extremely
> > >knowledgeable and thorough, but don't tend to push
> > >medications more than necessary.=A0=A0Contact info is:
> > >
> > >Arlington Pediatric Associates
> > >5 Water Street
> > >Arlington 02476
> > >(781) 641-5800
> > >
> > >I know it's not as convenient as the Cambridge Hospital, but
> > >worth considering.
> > >
> > >Best,
> > >Deb Woods

> Cambridge