[Parentsgroup-list] Alternate after hr visit

Ziva Mann ziva.mann at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 12:10:06 EDT 2007

Hmm.

Okay, so there's two considerations: first, the HUHS after hours is set up
for minor issues, but not major ones. So you'd need to work out with your
ped just how worried they are, and how seriously the issue needs to be
taken. Few docs take risks with babies - uniformly, the care for an infant
is pretty aggressive in conventional medicine. If the ped suggested the ER
rather than the HUHS urgent care clinic (after hours), it's because there
was a possibility of a real emergency. But some pediatricians are more
medically aggressive, others more anxious, some afraid of litigation - so
caveat medical emptor. I find one way to tell is to ask them to explain to
me what, exactly, they are worried about. Then I ask questions.

The second issue is convenience. A run to the Childrens Hospital ER takes on
average 4-6 hours. If the medical concern is low-level, then the urgent care
clinic would work. If it's mid-level, the urgent care clinic with the option
of going to the ER could work. Also, if it's mid-level, I find Cambridge
Hospital to be faster than Childrens. But I've been to Cambridge Hosptial
for a high to mid-level emergency, and I was not impressed. Thety are a
community hospital, and are set up to handle moderate urgent care - all the
real nasty stuff goes to the Longwood area. And they told us so. I don't
have experience with Mt Auburn, but I'd suspect the situation there is
similar.

Again, it's a matter of understanding and being able to weigh the risks.
Which makes it all the more important to have a pedicatrician that you trust
and with whom you communicate well.

-Ziva