[Parentsgroup-list] picking the right kindergarten

wenc at fas.harvard.edu wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 10 09:19:37 EDT 2007

If you are interested in Montessori, Cambridge now has a public Montessori
elementary school.  This is the first year for the school, so I don't know
anything about it yet.

Many (most?) Boston-area public school systems, including Cambridge, use a
lottery to determine who can attend which school.  You can make your 1st, 2nd
or 3rd choices, but you are not guaranteed a spot at your #1 school.

Many schools start their tours/info sessions in November, so it's a good idea to
start looking into that.  There are also Yahoo groups (emial lists like this
one) for various Boston public schools--I bet they exist for Cambridge and
Somerville too.  You can search the 'groups' at Yahoo.com, or ask around.

More info--if you are looking at private schools, know that there are often a
few scholarship spots, so they may be worth applying for even if you can't
afford it.  Those deadlines are usually in February I think, but check with
each school.  (The Advent School in Beacon Hill, for instance, is supposed to
be a great place with Reggio Emilia-style classes for the very little ones--and
they do have some scholarship money.  They'd better, since it costs about
$16,000 a year...)

If you are into promoting peace and social justice, you might look into the
Friends School in Cambridge--a private Quaker school.  There are also several
private Montessori schools in the area, and if you want the real hippie
experience there is a Waldorf school in Lexington.

Good luck!
Christine