[Parentsgroup-list] picking the right kindergarten

Patricia Malone patriciamma at comcast.net
Sun Sep 9 18:25:11 EDT 2007

Dear Ayfer,
My daughter is five, and she starts her kindergarten year at the Brown
School, in the Somerville public school system, tomorrow. I have heard
good things about Brown, and we are looking forward to this year. I
know that other families on the list (as well as faculty in my
department) have children enrolled in the Brown School.

I did want to alert you to the *wonderful* public preschool program in
Somerville. It is at the Capuano school (near Union Square) The entire
school - a fairly new facility -  is devoted to preschool and
kindergarten-age children. I was a little nervous about the program
when we enrolled last year - it is public, and free for Somerville
children who are over the age of 4, - but I cannot say enough about the
wonderful experience we had there. My daughter made leaps and bounds
socially, and she learned to read. There were interesting field trips,
special programs, and opportunities for enrichment learning - she
really enjoyed herself.

It looks as though Capuano is having an open house on September 26th,
so that might be a good opportunity to find out more about it, if you
are interested. Here is the website, with links and contact information
for other schools in the Somerville system:
http://www.somerville.k12.ma.us/education/school/school.php?
sectionid=85.

I wish your family luck. If you have questions about our particular
experience at Capuano or Brown, please feel free to contact me. I would
be happy to answer questions or simply chat about your concerns.

All the best,
Patricia Malone
Celtic Languages and Literatures