[Parentsgroup-list] Nanny Needed; advice also welcome!

wenc at fas.harvard.edu wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 23 12:58:29 EDT 2007

One thing you should think about is the social security issue.  Are you going to
pay the nanny's SS taxes?  Will you hire your nanny on the books, or off?
Related to this--are you willing to hire an illegal immigrant?

If there's any chance either of you will hold public office at any time in your
career, I've heard that it might be a very bad idea to pay your nanny under the
table because it can come back to haunt you.  (Remember Zoe Baird and
"nannygate?")  The problem is that you will find that many people looking for
work as full-time nannies are immigrants without green cards--so to get someone
who can work legally, your options will be limited, and you will probably have
to pay more.

Also be prepared to be very clear about things like food, naps, and
child-rearing style, and don't take ANYTHING for granted.  Don't assume the
nanny will also do housework (or that housework is part of her job
description).

The going rate for a full-time nanny starts at around $500 a week, last I
checked, or $13-$16/hour.  If you pay taxes that will be additional.

Places to find a legal nanny: Harvard or other college student job web page
(Extension school students often take classes at night), Sittercity.com (they
do a criminal background check too), agencies.  Place to find legal and illegal
nannies: Craigslist.

--Christine