[Parentsgroup-list] Maternity/paternity leave; stopping diss clock in GSAS

wenc at fas.harvard.edu wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 17 20:37:33 EDT 2007

Hi all--I've just found out about a group of grad students in the sciences =
who
are getting pretty organized around the issue of maternity/paternity leave,
dependent healthcare, etc.

Abigail Bracha will be presenting these issues at a meeting tomorrow so ple=
ase
email her and the list with anything you want to bring up.  (She sent an em=
ail
about it a little while ago but I'm sending the info again with a different
subject line just to make it more visible!!)

I also just found out from Dean Skocpol that there is a firm policy in plac=
e for
GSAS students that stops the dissertation clock for one year when you have a
child.  Since I did not know about this but only that you were allowed to h=
ave
some extra time, I can only assume that it hasn't been well-publicized.

So--if you are in GSAS and you are feeling pressure to finish at the same t=
ime
as everyone else, you might want to bring this to the attention of your
advisor/chair.  --Christine

Abigail's message & email is below: