[Parentsgroup-list] huhs/bcbs pediatrician

Kara Swanson kswanson at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 4 10:26:22 EDT 2007

As a mom of two (now past the well and sick baby visits, although not =

past pediatricians altogether), I can't say strongly enough how much I =

would advise against such an approach.  We had 5 sick baby visits in ONE =

MONTH in our first born's first winter, and it is those sick baby visits =

that really count -- you need to be able to trust the doctor, and it =

really helps if they know you, your philosophy, and your baby. I can't =

imagine switching to a new doctor and a new practice in a moment of =

crisis -- especially if the crisis is on-going, and you have to switch =

in the middle of a single episode of sickness.   I would definitely want =

to stick with one pediatrician.  (On the other hand, having to drive a =

long way with a sick baby is also a drag, and I completely understand =

the distance issue).

For various reasons, I have never used HUHS for my kids, but FWIW my =

advisor (whose wife is a doctor, and who himself teaches at the medical =

school) used HUHS pediatricians for his kids' entire upbringing, and was =

perfectly satisfied.

Kara

On 10/4/2007 10:02 AM, SPSUCH at aol.com wrote:

> Yes, this is how it was explained to me when I was inquiring. HUHS =

> would prefer you  not do it this way because then, when you do come =

> in, they dont' know your baby. But this is how it would be done. You =

> do your 6 well baby visits + 3 sick visits wherever you want and can =

> then come back to HUHS for the balance of your child's needs.
>
> Sara
> HGSE
>
> In a message dated 10/4/07 5:16:31 AM, arliadi.mahadi at gmail.com writes:
>

>> Hi all,
>> I am fairly new to this board and am very grateful with the amount of
>> help I found here.
>> Sorting through the old posts, it seems to me that  for those with
>> huhs/bcbs plan, the general consensus is, regarding selecting primary
>> care pediatrician, to go outside huhs when we could not find a good
>> match in huhs. In such case, would people then typically use up their
>> bcbs visits (e.g., 6 for the first year for newborn) then go to huhs
>> for subsequent visits if needed? Hence you still select a pcp from
>> huhs for a backup then?
>>
>> Ludi
>>

>> On 10/3/07, William Marinell <wmarinell at verizon.net> wrote:
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > My husband and I looking for a part-time nanny to help with our =

>> newborn son
>> > from 8:00-1:00 Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. The job would entail
>> > primarily caring for our newborn, as well as light housekeeping (e.g.
>> > folding laundry, washing dishes, etc.) when the baby is sleeping. =

>> Caregiver
>> > must have own car, be a non-smoker and preferably be first-aid =

>> certified.
>> >
>> > If anyone knows of any good candidates, I'd be grateful if you =

>> either passed
>> > their contact info on to us or forwarded them this request.
>> >
>> > Many thanks,
>> > Amanda

-- =

Kara W. Swanson, B.S., M.A., J.D.