[Parentsgroup-list] dealing with lead

Alexander Van Zandt Akin akin at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 29 00:01:35 EST 2007

It was also our experience that the city helped, although in our case they made
the landlord pay for the test. There is a great resource for families in
Cambridge that I've attached near the end of this e-mail. A word of caution: in
Cambridge many, if not most, apartments have lead paint, and it is not AT ALL
unusual for the landlord to lie about it. Even among the listings of off-campus
housing at Harvard, the university makes no effort to check if the "deleaded"
places have really been deleaded. Having "Uncle Jim" do an amateur deleading
job actually makes the problem worse, as the sanding, etc. releases lots of
lead dust, but in my experience all of the places we checked out from Harvard's
listings had been amateur deleading jobs. The only way to know for sure is to
have the apartment (not some other apartment in the same building) tested. Our
former landlord at 16-19 Forest Street systematically tries to pass off the
same decade-old lead test results for one deleaded apartment to every family
that moves in. When we had our room tested, we found that there were all kinds
of problems, especially from the window dust someone mentioned in an earlier
e-mail. Eventually it snowballed into a disaster where we had to hire a lawyer,
etc. to force the landlord to act. But in Cambridge the city government is
really on your side, and the landlord ended up paying over $10,000 for
professional deleading, without our rent rising. (Of course, that meant they
could charge double the rent after we moved out, because professionally
deleaded apartments are so rare there!)
  For help in Cambridge, you can contact the Lead Safe Cambridge office. They
were extremely helpful in our case. Here is the website:
http://www.ci.cambridge.ma.us/CDD/lead/index.html
   Good luck!
-Alexander Akin