[Parentsgroup-list] dealing with lead

wenc at fas.harvard.edu wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 29 00:01:01 EST 2007

I am surprised you are living in a non-deleaded place!  It's actually illegal in
MA for landlords to rent to anyone with kids under 6 unless the place is
deleaded--if your kid gets lead poisoning you are easily able to sue them.

Make sure your kids are not anemic--if they are low in iron, lead comes in and
takes its place.  You should get them tested regularly.  (Kids in MA are
supposed to be tested every year; I might do it more often than that if I knew
I was living with lead.)

Just be aware that the finger-stick test can be totally inaccurate--my son
tested high for lead and I went through a ridiculous fiasco until the arm stick
test showed his levels were actually much lower--he must have stuck his finger
in lead dust on the way to the doctor.

Also--don't forget the dirt outside your house.  (Lead there comes from flaking
exterior paint, but is also the remains of all those decades of leaded
gasoline.)  I had my yard soil tested with the U Mass Amherst labs, and it
actually came back with lead levels so high it was considered toxic waste.
Make sure people take shoes off at the door, don't let kids eat that dirt, etc.

I ended up just having the topsoil replaced with clean dirt.  There are also
plants you can plant--a variety of mustard is one--that will suck up the lead.
(Don't eat these greens, obviously!)

--Christine