[Parentsgroup-list] dealing with lead

heberlein at wjh.harvard.edu heberlein at wjh.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 28 22:32:39 EST 2007

Our house is not de-leaded either, and I'd been relying on testing any
little paint chips/scuffs (as well as toys) with the kind of lead test
kits sold at hardware stores.  However, the CPSC recently released a
report showing that many such home-use lead test kits are totally
unreliable, so I'm a bit stumped.  Last time I checked (this was in
Philly, not here) hiring a lead inspector for a private home was something
like $400.

The one thing that I've heard is that a major source of lead exposure due
to paint, if the paint isn't peeling, is from wooden windows-- raising and
lowering them creates paint dust from the friction between the window and
the frame.  So if your apartment has new windows you're in good shape--
and if not, you should wipe down (with a wet cloth or paper towel) all
surfaces near the window, including wet mopping the floor, frequently.

Sorry not to be more useful--
Andrea