[Parentsgroup-list] ear infections and antibiotics

Emily Qazilbash qazilbem at gse.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 6 15:51:23 EST 2007

Hi all -

I was happily overwhelmed with the responses from the list, both those that came just to me and
those that went to everyone. I thought I might respond individually, but with a sick child at home
and ignored dissertation work (I know you all can feel my pain!) that is not going to happen this
week.

Maya ended up getting worse - higher fever, etc - so we took her in again and the pediatrician
(not our usual one) ended up prescribing antibiotics. I know the ped. is still unsure if it is
bacterial or viral and is essentially taking the "safe" course of action. I wish I'd asked what
would happen if we waited on the antibiotics for a day or two - I didn't ask, and we started her
on them already. All of this info you have provided has been so helpful - in theory I completely
agree that antibiotics are over-prescribed, and I don't like the potential side-effects (both
short term and long term). However, when a doctor suggests that she take them, I am not willing to
risk going against the suggestion based on the little I know about medicine, since it's my
daughter's health and not my own.

Thank you so much for all of the information, I feel much better armed with knowledge and I'm sure
we'll face this situation again in the future, in one form or the other.

Emily