[Parentsgroup-list] ear infections and antibiotics

Ayfer Karakaya Stump stump at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 5 11:05:45 EST 2007

Dear Emily,

It is quite striking how pediatrician can differ in their approach to
the use of antibiotics to treat ear infections. My experience with our
pediatrician has been just the opposite, as he seems to be ready to
prescribe antibiotics even in very mild cases. Considering that there is
no consensus on the issue among doctors, I feel that as parents we
should have some say in deciding whether their use is really warranted
in each individual episode. Overall I think antibiotics should be used
in cases when the child is obviously experiencing unbearable pain, but
not in mild cases when the pain is not as severe.

best,
ayfer