[Parentsgroup-list] ear infections and antibiotics

Emily Qazilbash qazilbem at gse.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 5 09:05:00 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

Our almost-4-year-old ended up in the ER after several hours of unexplained (to us) screaming on
Sat. night, and it turns out she has an ear infection. She had no other symptoms before this ER
trip, but then yesterday she developed the high fever, etc that often comes with the virus that
might cause an ear infection.

The ER doctor said he wouldn't recommend antibiotics to treat this ear infection, and I remember
our pediatrician saying something a while ago about antibiotics sometimes not being necessary.
We've only had one ear infection between our two kids, thankfully, so I don't know much about
treatment options. We did give antibiotics for that one, three years ago.

I'm happy to not have our daughter on antibiotics, and she seems better this morning after 24
hours of a high fever and pain. However, after googling the topic, I'm just curious what others
have done. I know I can call our pediatrician and I may do that.

Thanks!

Emily Kalejs Qazilbash