[Parentsgroup-list] Tips for traveling with an infant?

Gillian Prowse prowse at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 27 15:54:26 EDT 2007

Dear All,

I have a quick side note to Malcolm's point that airlines don't require =

documentation of age for under-2 travelers. It won't apply to an =

8-week-old, of course, but airlines do require proof they have any =

reason for doubt. I turned up for a flight with my 22-month-old and =

they wouldn't let us on the plane, citing FAA regulations (which may =

have been a scare tactic). I guess it's fair enough that they can't =

tell the difference between a 23-month-old and a 25-month-old - they =

certainly didn't give me the benefit of the doubt and I had to get my =

pediatrician to fax confirmation before they would let me through =

(since I didn't happen to be carrying her birth cert.). Just a thought =

for anyone who may be deliberately planning a trip just before a child =

hits the magic age...

Gillian

On Jun 27, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Malcolm_Williams at ksg.harvard.edu wrote:

> Hi Judith,
> =A0
> My wife Susan and I have 2 kids, 3 years and 1 year.=A0 Because Susan's =

> family is in California and mine is in Pennsylvania, our kids have =

> taken many long flights and car rides.=A0 We have never had to buy a =

> ticket for them before they turned 2 (by the way the airlines don't =

> require documentation of age).=A0 This is largely because of cost, but I =

> never felt like we needed the extra seat.=A0
> =A0
> You may bring your car seat through security to the gate and ask if =

> you have an extra seat next to you.=A0 If there is one you can use your =

> car seat on the plane (the car seat goes in the window seat).=A0 If not, =

> they will check it for you at the gate--you'll also pick it up at the =

> gate when you land.=A0 The airlines have been very good about finding us =

> an entire row if one is available, so make sure to ask.
> =A0
> When we don't get to use the car seat the kids have sat in our laps.=A0 =

> On these occasions we use our baby bjorn.=A0 They've always been good =

> about napping in this for us, even on planes.=A0 I haven't seen masks =

> for kids, but when they get excited/fussy/overtired we walk the aisle =

> of the plane to help soothe them to sleep.=A0 If they start looking at =

> the other passengers we'll cover their heads loosely with an=A0extra=A0te=
e =