[Parentsgroup-list] midwives at Cambridge Hospital

Philip Davis Loring ploring at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 20 23:49:09 EDT 2007

Hello parents and parents-to-be,

This is my first post to the list, so I wanted to start by saying thanks =

to all of you who have shared your experiences in past months. You've =

made entering this whole new world of pregnancy-at-Harvard a great deal =

less bewildering. I'd like to extend a special thanks to Christine Wenc =

and Kara Swanson, the two resident superwomen in my department, who have =

done so much to establish and nourish this invaluable resource. I'm =

proud to call them friends and colleagues.

A quick introduction: I'm ABD in GSAS, in the department of the history =

of science. My wife Dawn is in her ninth week; the baby, our first, is =

due mid-February. Dawn's a modern dancer and choreographer and has been =

putting me through grad school for the past 5 years with various day =

jobs; most recently she's been teaching dance as an adjunct professor at =

two colleges in the Boston area. The adjunct jobs don't offer benefits, =

so she's on my HUHS/BCBS plan. (We're thinking seriously about switching =

to Commonwealth Care, but we're also wary of switching plans at such a =

critical moment. Last thing we need is more stress.) We live in Haskins =

Hall, a Harvard-owned apartment building near the Design School.

When the time comes, we're aiming to make use of both a midwife and an =

anesthesiologist. After gathering opinions from various quarters, =

including the list, and visiting both Mt. Auburn Hospital and Cambridge =

Hospital, we've chosen the latter. Both places felt excellent, and =

Cambridge Hospital offers free doula care.

My question: Does anyone have any experience (good, bad, indifferent) =

with the midwives at Cambridge Hospital? Is there one we should demand, =

or avoid? The one we met last week, Laurie Ososky, was fine, but we =

didn't really seem to click, or else she just took a really long time to =

warm up to us. The way it works at Cambridge Hospital, you stay with one =

midwife throughout all your prenatal visits, so we'd like to choose well.

Thanks in advance --

Phil Loring