[parentsgroup-list] baby swimming

Patricia Malone patriciamma at comcast.net
Thu Jul 12 09:06:14 EDT 2007

Dear Liz,
My (five year old) daughter and I live in Somerville, the town right
next to Cambridge (it's a twenty-minute walk to Harvard Yard). One of
our local elementary schools has two nice pools, one for lap swimming,
and a shallow pool for children. They do offer "Waterbabies" lessons
for children aged 6 months and older. Cost is $45 for Somerville
residents, $55 for others (per six week session). They also offer
"family swim" times when you can enjoy the pool with your children at
certain hours ($3 for adults, $1 for children, or you can buy a season
pass).

Here's their website if you're interested:
http://www.somerville.k12.ma.us/education/components/docmgr/
default.php?sectiondetailid=6441

This is the pool that we like to use, but I'm sure there are many other
options! Best of luck with your move, and welcome!

Pat

On Jul 12, 2007, at 8:51 AM, Elizaveta S. Leshchiner (Trukhanova) wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> my name is Liz and I'm incoming GSAS student for the fall 2007 (from
> Russia).
> I'm coming with my 8-month old baby Andrey and I have a question.
> Maybe you
> could help me? I would really appreciate.
>
> Is there anything like baby swimming classes or pools where babies
> under 1 year
> are allowed? In Russia our doctor prescribed Andrey swimming because
> of some
> orthopoedic problems. I know that not many pools accept that small
> age, and we
> were going to the pool at our hospital here (which is specially
> designed for
> babies 0+).
>
> Is there anything similar in Cambridge/Boston area that you are aware
> of? I was
> searching on the web but I didn't find much.
>
> Thanks!
> Liz

Patricia Malone
Curator -  F. N. Robinson Celtic Seminar Library
Harvard University
Department of Celtic Languages and Literatures
Barker Center - 12 Quincy Street
Cambridge, MA 02138