[Parentsgroup-list] outside the box

allison ohle allisonohle at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 11:58:21 EDT 2007


In the event that you dont find a spot in a daycare center at this late
date, we had in-home care that we found by sending an email to everyone we
knew...we ended up with the wife of a colleague of mine at the kennedy
school and it was perfect.

your child is 3, so that may not be most desirable...but may be good in the
interim.

best of luck...
allison


On 7/11/07, parentsgroup-list-request at lists.hcs.harvard.edu <
parentsgroup-list-request at lists.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
> Send Parentsgroup-list mailing list submissions to
>        parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        parentsgroup-list-request at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        parentsgroup-list-owner at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Parentsgroup-list digest..."
>
>
> Today's Parentsgroup Digest:
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. new parent needs help (Kara Swanson)
>   2. Re: Rini on moving to Cambridge (Susan McDonald)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:42:50 -0400
> From: Kara Swanson <kswanson at fas.harvard.edu>
> Subject: [Parentsgroup-list] new parent needs help
> To: rinikaushik at yahoo.com, parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> Message-ID: <4694DE5A.4050206 at fas.harvard.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3DISO-8859-1; format=3Dflowed
>
> Dear Rini,
>
> Having moved to the greater Boston area several times with young
> children, I ALWAYS find daycare first, then housing.  (In fact, having
> moved 4 times in my oldest daughter's first five years, I ended up
> applying for daycare at the slightest hint that we might be moving
> somewhere -- I left application fees on the table in several cities we
> never moved to, but I ended up getting a pick of good places when we did
> move -- I recommend this strategy for transient grad student parents!)
> Daycare/preschool is usually trickier, because as you are finding out,
> most preschools fill up in the spring.  As Sebastian suggested, you can
> get a list of preschools and licensed family day cares from Harvard.
> Once you have a preschool spot, then try a rental agent for speedy help
> in finding housing.  I always had to pay a fee, but the rental market
> has softened now, and landlords may be willing to split the agent fee
> with you, or even cover it.  (That said, finding housing with an under 5
> child is always challenging in Mass, because of the lead-free law that
> restricts the number of units available to families).  Harvard can also
> give you a list of rental agents.
>
> I advise trying family-friendly and cheaper (!) options outside
> Cambridge, that have good transport to campus -- Watertown, Newton,
> Belmont, Arlington.  Of those, Watertown probably has the best bus
> connection to Harvard Square, and I believe that someone posted to this
> list last month that Russell preschool still had spots
> (http://russellpreschool.org/factsheet.html).  I have had many friends
> who were very happy with that preschool.  On my first move to Cambridge
> with a 1 year old, I ended up in Newton, sending my daughter to a
> Montessori school in Newton Center.  If you do win the lottery (!) and
> find a spot in Harvard daycare (which can be easier with a 3 year old
> than with an infant or toddler), many locations in Somerville are
> walkable both to the daycares and to campus.  If you find any place with
> an opening, email the list and I'll bet you find someone who has some
> knowledge about it to share with you.
>
> In Cambridge itself, if you haven't already -- try all the cooperatives
> -- they are cheaper, and tend to fill up a bit slower.  Also, check the
> MIT daycare centers.  At times, they have spots for preschoolers that
> aren't filled by MIT affiliates.
>
> And if you end up somewhere you need to drive in a pinch, you may be
> reassured to know that it only snowed once last winter!
>
> Good luck,
>
> Kara
>
> **********************************
> Kara W. Swanson, B.S., M.A., J.D.
> Ph.D. Candidate
> History of Science
> Harvard University
> Science Center 371
> Cambridge, MA 02138
> kswanson at fas.harvard.edu
> ***********************************
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:00:39 -0700
> From: "Susan McDonald" <susan_mcdonald at ksg07.harvard.edu>
> Subject: [Parentsgroup-list] Re: Rini on moving to Cambridge
> To: parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> Message-ID:
>        <9389865f0707110700u21d5738cte5f5984ca236f440 at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"iso-8859-1"
>
> On 7/11/07, Susan McDonald <mcdonaldsu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Rini,
> > I moved to Cambridge for graduate school last summer as the single
> mother
> > of an 18-month-old with many of the same criteria that you have. My
> advice
> > is to look at family home daycares as they are more likely to have
> full-t=3D
> ime
> > openings soon. Nursery schools not affiliated with Harvard are also a
> good
> > bet. The waiting list for the Harvard centers was simply too long for
> me,
> > although it is worth your checking with them because your child is older
> > than mine. (There are more openings for children older than 2yr 9
> months,
> > the state cut-off age for nursery school).
> >
> > To find a listing of different types of daycare in Cambridge, you can do
> > your own online search at Childcare Resource Center at
> > http://www.ccrcinc.org/   or contact the Harvard Medical School Office
> of
> > Work and Family ( http://www.hms.harvard.edu/hr/owf.html). Although I am
> > not affiliated with the medical school, they gave me a listing of
> differe=3D
> nt
> > daycare options within my zip code and then I spent a few weeks calling,
> > screening, and visiting places until I found one that had a space that I
> > liked.
> >
> > In terms of apartments near daycare, it may be too late to get into
> > Peabody (but still worth checking). Botanic Gardens seems really nice
> too,
> > if you can get in, and may be closer to community daycares. Another
> > possibility is to look for private housing via Craig's List or the HRES
> > community listings. West Cambridge/Huron Village has a lot of 2 bedroom
> > apartments in houses and several nursery schools and family daycares.
> This
> > is a 15-20 minute walk from school, not a cheap neighborhood but
> convenie=3D
> nt
> > with parks, playgrounds, etc.
> >
> > Another option is North Cambridge. My classmate Betsy Boyle owns a
> > two-family house and has a 2BR apartment available for rent near the
> Alew=3D
> ife
> > T stop, two stops north of Harvard Square, a 30 minute walk to campus.
> You
> > can reach her at betsy_boyle at ksg07.harvard.edu. Nearby is the North
> > Cambridge Children's Center at Walden Square Road at 617-876-0503.
> >
> > Good luck!
> > Susan
> >
> > On 7/11/07, parentsgroup-list-request at lists.hcs.harvard.edu<parentsgrou=
p=3D
> -list-request at lists.hcs.harvard.edu>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Send Parentsgroup-list mailing list submissions to
> > >         parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > >
> > > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> > >
> http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
> > > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> > >         parentsgroup-list-request at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > >
> > > You can reach the person managing the list at
> > >         parentsgroup-list-owner at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > >
> > > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> > > than "Re: Contents of Parentsgroup-list digest..."
> > >
> > >
> > > Today's Parentsgroup Digest:
> > >
> > > Today's Topics:
> > >
> > >    1. Dependent Care Fund  (Deborah Freedman Woods)
> > >    2. new student needs help! ( wenc at fas.harvard.edu)
> > >    3. RE: new student needs help! (Sebastian James)
> > >    4. Re: new student needs help! (Miriam Shakow)
> > >    5. dependent care fund maybe limited to      faculty/post-docs next
> > >       year (Irene Newton)
> > >    6. Re: dependent care fund maybe limited to  faculty/post-docs
> > >       next year (wenc at fas.harvard.edu)
> > >    7. Re: new student needs help! ( wenc at fas.harvard.edu)
> > >
> > >
> > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 1
> > > Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:49:48 -0400 (EDT)
> > > From: Deborah Freedman Woods < dwoods at cfa.harvard.edu>
> > > Subject: [Parentsgroup-list] Dependent Care Fund
> > > To: "Deborah F. Woods" <dwoods at cfa.harvard.edu >
> > > Cc: parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.58.0707101240460.4979 at auriga.cfa.harvard.edu >
> > > Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=3D3DUS-ASCII
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but anyone who
> > > has to travel should look into this new Harvard program to
> > > help with travel-related child care expenses.  The program,
> > > which just started last year, is mainly geared toward
> > > assistant profs but is also open to grad students.  I put
> > > in an application last week and it was approved within 3
> > > days, despite my missing the June 1st deadline.  The
> > > administrator, Fiona Chin, was very helpful in moving my
> > > application along.  The website is:
> > > http://www.faculty.harvard.edu/05/0541.html
> > >
> > > Here's a short description of the program.
> > >
> > > Dependent Care Fund
> > >
> > > The Dependent Care Fund for Short-term Professional Travel
> > > (DCF) is intended to provide financial assistance to
> > > scholars who would like to travel for a professional event
> > > that will advance their academic careers, and who also have
> > > child care or adult dependent care obligations. DCF grants
> > > are awarded to defray the incremental costs due to added
> > > care giving needs incurred as a result of traveling for
> > > career purposes. Such costs may include those associated
> > > with transporting a dependent and/or a caregiver to a
> > > conference location or research site, extra dependent care
> > > at home while the recipient is traveling, or on-site care at
> > > a meeting.
> > >
> > > For example: An assistant professor has children who
> > > ordinarily attend day-care. The assistant professor plans to
> > > attend a 2-day conference in Chicago in order to present the
> > > results of his research. Because the conference requires
> > > overnight travel, the assistant professor must bring his
> > > children with him. Conference organizers have arranged for
> > > on-site day-care while scholars make their presentations.
> > >
> > > In this case, the assistant professor could apply to the
> > > Dependent Care Fund to cover the airfare for his children as
> > > well as the cost of the on-site day-care at the conference.
> > >
> > > Another example: The situation is the same, except that the
> > > children are ordinarily cared for by a live-out nanny who
> > > comes to their home in Somerville. The conference organizers
> > > have not made arrangements for on-site care, so the
> > > assistant professor plans to bring along the nanny to take
> > > care of his children while he attends the conference. The
> > > daily cost for the nanny ordinarily amounts to approximately
> > > $200/day, but given that the conference requires care away
> > > from home, the cost for the nanny may increase to $250/day.
> > > The assistant professor could apply to the DCF to cover the
> > > airfare for his children and the nanny, and he could also
> > > request funds for the extra $50/day for the nanny to provide
> > > off-site care.
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 2
> > > Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:32:04 -0400
> > > From: wenc at fas.harvard.edu
> > > Subject: [Parentsgroup-list] new student needs help!
> > > To: parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > Message-ID: < 1184092324.4693d0a437cbb at webmail.fas.harvard.edu>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D3DISO-8859-1
> > >
> > > This is from an incoming student.  Feel free to post any advice to the
> > > entire
> > > list so that everybody can benefit from the collective wisdom!
> > >
> > > --------
> > >
> > > from Rini Kaushik <rinikaushik at yahoo.com>
> > >
> > > I will be joining Harvard in Fall for a Ph.D. in Computer Science.  I
> am
> > > quite
> > > concerned right now
> > > and need some advice from fellow parents.
> > >
> > > Here's my situation;
> > > I have a 3 year old son.  My husband will not be moving to Boston with
> > > me and
> > > will be in Boston
> > > only on the weekends.  I will be single-parenting most of the
> time.  My
> > > mother
> > > (can't drive and
> > > not in a good shape) will stay with me.  I was hoping to find an
> > > apartment/condo
> > > close to my son's
> > > preschool so that my mother can drop/pick up my son on foot.  I also
> > > wanted the
> > > apartment/condo to
> > > be close to a public transportation route as I am not comfortable
> > > driving in the
> > > snow (coming from
> > > California).  However, I spent more than week in Boston last week and
> > > couldn't
> > > find anything that
> > > matches my criterion.  Most of the preschools are already full and the
> > > ones that
> > > are open are not
> > > close to apartments.
> > >
> > > How are you all managing?  Where do you stay and where do your kids go
> > > for day
> > > care?  I will
> > > really appreciate pointers and any out-of-the-box ideas.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Rini
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 3
> > > Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:07:11 -0400
> > > From: "Sebastian James" <sebastian_james at ksg.harvard.edu >
> > > Subject: RE: [Parentsgroup-list] new student needs help!
> > > To: <wenc at fas.harvard.edu>,     <
> parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > >
> > > Message-ID: <004f01c7c32d$e9ecbfa0$6400a8c0 at Sebastianlaptop>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain;       charset=3D3D"us-ascii"
> > >
> > > Hi Rini
> > >
> > > Did you try Harvard Housing, especially Peabody Terrace because there
> is
> > >
> > > a pre-school within the apartment complex (PTCC)? Are the pre-school
> > > spots already taken, because they go very fast?
> > >
> > > If you are going to work backwards starting from the daycare, you
> could
> > > try Harvard Yard Daycare or Oxford Street Day Care Center and look for
> > > housing (Harvard Housing and private housing) in that area, Kirkland
> > > St., Divinity Ave, etc. though the Subway would be a good 15 minutes
> > > walk. But, there are good Bus Routes from that area too.
> > >
> > > Good luck on your search.
> > >
> > > _________________________________________________
> > > Sebastian S. James
> > > Phd. Candidate in Public Policy
> > > Harvard University
> > > Ph: 617-384-0140(R), 617-230-9596(M)
> > >
> > >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: parentsgroup-list-bounces at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > [mailto:parentsgroup-list-bounces at lists.hcs.harvard.edu ] On Behalf Of
> > > wenc at fas.harvard.edu
> > > Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:32 PM
> > > To: parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > Subject: [Parentsgroup-list] new student needs help!
> > >
> > > This is from an incoming student.  Feel free to post any advice to the
> > > entire
> > > list so that everybody can benefit from the collective wisdom!
> > >
> > > --------
> > >
> > > from Rini Kaushik <rinikaushik at yahoo.com>
> > >
> > > I will be joining Harvard in Fall for a Ph.D. in Computer Science.  I
> am
> > > quite
> > > concerned right now
> > > and need some advice from fellow parents.
> > >
> > > Here's my situation;
> > > I have a 3 year old son.  My husband will not be moving to Boston with
> > > me and
> > > will be in Boston
> > > only on the weekends.  I will be single-parenting most of the
> time.  My
> > > mother
> > > (can't drive and
> > > not in a good shape) will stay with me.  I was hoping to find an
> > > apartment/condo
> > > close to my son's
> > > preschool so that my mother can drop/pick up my son on foot.  I also
> > > wanted the
> > > apartment/condo to
> > > be close to a public transportation route as I am not comfortable
> > > driving in the
> > > snow (coming from
> > > California).  However, I spent more than week in Boston last week and
> > > couldn't
> > > find anything that
> > > matches my criterion.  Most of the preschools are already full and the
> > > ones that
> > > are open are not
> > > close to apartments.
> > >
> > > How are you all managing?  Where do you stay and where do your kids go
> > > for day
> > > care?  I will
> > > really appreciate pointers and any out-of-the-box ideas.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Rini
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Parentsgroup-list mailing list
> > > Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 4
> > > Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:01:30 -0400
> > > From: Miriam Shakow <shakow at fas.harvard.edu>
> > > Subject: Re: [Parentsgroup-list] new student needs help!
> > > Cc: parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > Message-ID: <4694561A.6050807 at fas.harvard.edu>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D3DISO-8859-1; format=3D3Dflowed
> > >
> > > Dear Rini,
> > > The harvard daycare centers generally have a year-long waiting list.
> if
> > > you put your name down now on the lists of all of them, your son's
> name
> > > should come up within the next year. If you moved to Harvard Square
> now,
> > >
> > > you could try for a family daycare (several have been publicized on
> this
> > > list), combined with a babysitter a few days a week. Harvard Housing
> is
> > > mostly done by lottery the previous spring, but there may be some
> > > apartments still available on the Harvard Real Estate Services
> website.
> > >
> > > Peabody Terrace, Harvard Yard, and Radcliffe daycares are within a
> > > ten-minute walk of Harvard Square. The botanical gardens is a little
> > > farther, but during the school year, there is a regular free shuttle
> > > between the botanical gardens and harvard square.
> > >
> > > Another option is Bright Horizons, in Central square, which is a
> > > 15-minute walk from Harvard Square. A friend of ours sent their 2 year
> > > old there. It sounded just adequate as a short-term thing, but better
> > > supplemented with hands-on attention from a babysitter.
> > >
> > > There is also a "help find it" type service available to graduate
> > > students, but I don't know the name. I think you could call the GSAS
> > > dean to get some help with this.
> > >
> > > Take care,
> > > Miriam
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On 7/10/07 4:07 PM, Sebastian James wrote:
> > > > Hi Rini
> > > >
> > > > Did you try Harvard Housing, especially Peabody Terrace because
> there
> > > is
> > > > a pre-school within the apartment complex (PTCC)? Are the pre-school
> > > > spots already taken, because they go very fast?
> > > >
> > > > If you are going to work backwards starting from the daycare, you
> > > could
> > > > try Harvard Yard Daycare or Oxford Street Day Care Center and look
> for
> > > > housing (Harvard Housing and private housing) in that area, Kirkland
> > > > St., Divinity Ave, etc. though the Subway would be a good 15 minutes
> > > > walk. But, there are good Bus Routes from that area too.
> > > >
> > > > Good luck on your search.
> > > >
> > > > _________________________________________________
> > > > Sebastian S. James
> > > > Phd. Candidate in Public Policy
> > > > Harvard University
> > > > Ph: 617-384-0140(R), 617-230-9596(M)
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > From: parentsgroup-list-bounces at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > > [mailto:parentsgroup-list-bounces at lists.hcs.harvard.edu] On Behalf
> Of
> > > > wenc at fas.harvard.edu
> > > > Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:32 PM
> > > > To: parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > > Subject: [Parentsgroup-list] new student needs help!
> > > >
> > > > This is from an incoming student.  Feel free to post any advice to
> the
> > > > entire
> > > > list so that everybody can benefit from the collective wisdom!
> > > >
> > > > --------
> > > >
> > > > from Rini Kaushik < rinikaushik at yahoo.com>
> > > >
> > > > I will be joining Harvard in Fall for a Ph.D. in Computer
> Science.  I
> > > am
> > > > quite
> > > > concerned right now
> > > > and need some advice from fellow parents.
> > > >
> > > > Here's my situation;
> > > > I have a 3 year old son.  My husband will not be moving to Boston
> with
> > > > me and
> > > > will be in Boston
> > > > only on the weekends.  I will be single-parenting most of the
> > > time.  My
> > > > mother
> > > > (can't drive and
> > > > not in a good shape) will stay with me.  I was hoping to find an
> > > > apartment/condo
> > > > close to my son's
> > > > preschool so that my mother can drop/pick up my son on foot.  I also
> > > > wanted the
> > > > apartment/condo to
> > > > be close to a public transportation route as I am not comfortable
> > > > driving in the
> > > > snow (coming from
> > > > California).  However, I spent more than week in Boston last week
> and
> > > > couldn't
> > > > find anything that
> > > > matches my criterion.  Most of the preschools are already full and
> the
> > > > ones that
> > > > are open are not
> > > > close to apartments.
> > > >
> > > > How are you all managing?  Where do you stay and where do your kids
> go
> > >
> > > > for day
> > > > care?  I will
> > > > really appreciate pointers and any out-of-the-box ideas.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > >
> > > > Rini
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > Parentsgroup-list mailing list
> > > > Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > > http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > Parentsgroup-list mailing list
> > > > Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > > http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 5
> > > Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:51:44 -0400
> > > From: "Irene Newton" <irene.newton at gmail.com>
> > > Subject: [Parentsgroup-list] dependent care fund maybe limited to
> > >         faculty/post-docs next year
> > > To: parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > Message-ID:
> > >         < 1252ab5f0707110551u5c2eb0abw847a493d593ba489 at mail.gmail.com>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D3DISO-8859-1; format=3D3Dflowed
> > >
> > > hi all,
> > >
> > > In case you were counting on the dependent care fund for travel with
> > > your baby, you should know that they might limit it to just tenured
> > > faculty and post-docs (see email from Fiona Chin below).
> > >
> > > Why are graduate students always screwed over?
> > >
> > > -Irene
> > >
> > > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> > > From: Chin, Fiona <fiona_chin at harvard.edu>
> > > Date: Jul 11, 2007 8:41 AM
> > > Subject: Dependent Care Fund
> > > To: "Newton, Irene" < garcia at fas.harvard.edu>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Dear Irene,
> > >
> > > I received your Dependent Care Fund application, and I wanted to let
> > > you know that the next review period isn't scheduled until September.
> > > Also, as this was the program's first pilot year, the Review Committee
> > > is currently assessing refinements to the program before next year,
> > > including the possibility of limiting the eligibility to tenure-track
> > > faculty and postdoctoral fellows.
> > >
> > > The program is still in its experimental, pilot phase (through AY09),
> > > and we are doing our best to structure a successful program and gather
> > > data at this point.
> > >
> > > I will certainly be back in touch regarding the Committee's final
> > > decision regarding program eligibility for this academic year.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Fiona
> > >
> > >
> > > Fiona C. Chin
> > > Manager of Administration, Communications, and Special Projects
> > > Harvard University, Office of the Senior Vice Provost
> > >
> > > p.  617-495-5390
> > > o.  Holyoke Center 876
> > > e.  fiona_chin at harvard.edu
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 6
> > > Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:19:23 -0400
> > > From: wenc at fas.harvard.edu
> > > Subject: Re: [Parentsgroup-list] dependent care fund maybe limited to
> > >         faculty/post-docs next year
> > > To: Irene Newton <irene.newton at gmail.com >
> > > Cc: parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > Message-ID: <1184159963.4694d8db164c7 at webmail.fas.harvard.edu >
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D3DISO-8859-1
> > >
> > >
> > > Since they are still "gathering data," it would probably be a good
> idea
> > > for us
> > > to tell them how many of us would be applying for this funding.
> > >
> > > Let me figure out an easy way to do this and I'll get back to you.  I
> > > know I
> > > have personally skipped conferences because of having no child care,
> so
> > > it is
> > > indeed an important issue.
> > >
> > > --Christine
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Quoting Irene Newton <irene.newton at gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > > hi all,
> > > >
> > > > In case you were counting on the dependent care fund for travel with
> > > > your baby, you should know that they might limit it to just tenured
> > > > faculty and post-docs (see email from Fiona Chin below).
> > > >
> > > > Why are graduate students always screwed over?
> > > >
> > > > -Irene
> > > >
> > > > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> > > > From: Chin, Fiona < fiona_chin at harvard.edu>
> > > > Date: Jul 11, 2007 8:41 AM
> > > > Subject: Dependent Care Fund
> > > > To: "Newton, Irene" < garcia at fas.harvard.edu>
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Dear Irene,
> > > >
> > > > I received your Dependent Care Fund application, and I wanted to let
> > > > you know that the next review period isn't scheduled until
> September.
> > > > Also, as this was the program's first pilot year, the Review
> Committee
> > > > is currently assessing refinements to the program before next year,
> > > > including the possibility of limiting the eligibility to
> tenure-track
> > > > faculty and postdoctoral fellows.
> > > >
> > > > The program is still in its experimental, pilot phase (through
> AY09),
> > > > and we are doing our best to structure a successful program and
> gather
> > > > data at this point.
> > > >
> > > > I will certainly be back in touch regarding the Committee's final
> > > > decision regarding program eligibility for this academic year.
> > > >
> > > > Regards,
> > > > Fiona
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Fiona C. Chin
> > > > Manager of Administration, Communications, and Special Projects
> > > > Harvard University, Office of the Senior Vice Provost
> > > >
> > > > p.  617-495-5390
> > > > o.  Holyoke Center 876
> > > > e.   fiona_chin at harvard.edu
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > Parentsgroup-list mailing list
> > > > Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > > http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 7
> > > Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:27:27 -0400
> > > From: wenc at fas.harvard.edu
> > > Subject: Re: [Parentsgroup-list] new student needs help!
> > > To: Miriam Shakow < shakow at fas.harvard.edu>
> > > Cc: parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > Message-ID: < 1184160447.4694dabf1c2bd at webmail.fas.harvard.edu>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D3DISO-8859-1
> > >
> > > It's always sort of a crap shoot, but you can also try the central
> > > numbers for
> > > Mass Child Care Services, etc.  Harvard has them listed at:
> > >
> > > http://www.employment.harvard.edu/benefits/worklife/childcare.shtml
> > >
> > > BTW, I have been searching for the childcare resources web site that
> was
> > > set up
> > > by the Work/Life Office a while ago--it seems to have disappeared.
> > >
> > > (Please note that the Work/Life Office serves employees of Harvard,
> not
> > > students--but you can still sometimes find useful information there.)
> > >
> > > --Christine
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Quoting Miriam Shakow <shakow at fas.harvard.edu>:
> > >
> > > > Dear Rini,
> > > > The harvard daycare centers generally have a year-long waiting list.
> > > if
> > > > you put your name down now on the lists of all of them, your son's
> > > name
> > > > should come up within the next year. If you moved to Harvard Square
> > > now,
> > > > you could try for a family daycare (several have been publicized on
> > > this
> > > > list), combined with a babysitter a few days a week. Harvard Housing
> > > is
> > > > mostly done by lottery the previous spring, but there may be some
> > > > apartments still available on the Harvard Real Estate Services
> > > website.
> > > >
> > > > Peabody Terrace, Harvard Yard, and Radcliffe daycares are within a
> > > > ten-minute walk of Harvard Square. The botanical gardens is a little
> > > > farther, but during the school year, there is a regular free shuttle
> > > > between the botanical gardens and harvard square.
> > > >
> > > > Another option is Bright Horizons, in Central square, which is a
> > > > 15-minute walk from Harvard Square. A friend of ours sent their 2
> year
> > > > old there. It sounded just adequate as a short-term thing, but
> better
> > > > supplemented with hands-on attention from a babysitter.
> > > >
> > > > There is also a "help find it" type service available to graduate
> > > > students, but I don't know the name. I think you could call the GSAS
> > > > dean to get some help with this.
> > > >
> > > > Take care,
> > > > Miriam
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On 7/10/07 4:07 PM, Sebastian James wrote:
> > > > > Hi Rini
> > > > >
> > > > > Did you try Harvard Housing, especially Peabody Terrace because
> > > there is
> > > > > a pre-school within the apartment complex (PTCC)? Are the
> pre-school
> > > > > spots already taken, because they go very fast?
> > > > >
> > > > > If you are going to work backwards starting from the daycare, you
> > > could
> > > > > try Harvard Yard Daycare or Oxford Street Day Care Center and look
> > > for
> > > > > housing (Harvard Housing and private housing) in that area,
> Kirkland
> > >
> > > > > St., Divinity Ave, etc. though the Subway would be a good 15
> minutes
> > > > > walk. But, there are good Bus Routes from that area too.
> > > > >
> > > > > Good luck on your search.
> > > > >
> > > > > _________________________________________________
> > > > > Sebastian S. James
> > > > > Phd. Candidate in Public Policy
> > > > > Harvard University
> > > > > Ph: 617-384-0140(R), 617-230-9596(M)
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > > From: parentsgroup-list-bounces at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > > > [mailto: parentsgroup-list-bounces at lists.hcs.harvard.edu] On
> Behalf
> > > Of
> > > > > wenc at fas.harvard.edu
> > > > > Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:32 PM
> > > > > To: parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > > > Subject: [Parentsgroup-list] new student needs help!
> > > > >
> > > > > This is from an incoming student.  Feel free to post any advice to
> > > the
> > > > > entire
> > > > > list so that everybody can benefit from the collective wisdom!
> > > > >
> > > > > --------
> > > > >
> > > > > from Rini Kaushik <rinikaushik at yahoo.com >
> > > > >
> > > > > I will be joining Harvard in Fall for a Ph.D. in Computer
> > > Science.  I am
> > > > > quite
> > > > > concerned right now
> > > > > and need some advice from fellow parents.
> > > > >
> > > > > Here's my situation;
> > > > > I have a 3 year old son.  My husband will not be moving to Boston
> > > with
> > > > > me and
> > > > > will be in Boston
> > > > > only on the weekends.  I will be single-parenting most of the
> > > time.  My
> > > > > mother
> > > > > (can't drive and
> > > > > not in a good shape) will stay with me.  I was hoping to find an
> > > > > apartment/condo
> > > > > close to my son's
> > > > > preschool so that my mother can drop/pick up my son on foot.  I
> also
> > >
> > > > > wanted the
> > > > > apartment/condo to
> > > > > be close to a public transportation route as I am not comfortable
> > > > > driving in the
> > > > > snow (coming from
> > > > > California).  However, I spent more than week in Boston last week
> > > and
> > > > > couldn't
> > > > > find anything that
> > > > > matches my criterion.  Most of the preschools are already full and
> > > the
> > > > > ones that
> > > > > are open are not
> > > > > close to apartments.
> > > > >
> > > > > How are you all managing?  Where do you stay and where do your
> kids
> > > go
> > > > > for day
> > > > > care?  I will
> > > > > really appreciate pointers and any out-of-the-box ideas.
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks,
> > > > >
> > > > > Rini
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > > Parentsgroup-list mailing list
> > > > > Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > > > http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > > Parentsgroup-list mailing list
> > > > > Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > > > http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
> > > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > Parentsgroup-list mailing list
> > > > Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > > http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Parentsgroup-list mailing list
> > > Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > > http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
> > >
> > >
> > > End of Parentsgroup-list Digest, Vol 74, Issue 1
> > > ************************************************
> > >
> >
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/pipermail/parentsgroup-list/attachments/2=3D
> 0070711/84d9888c/attachment.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Parentsgroup-list mailing list
> Parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/parentsgroup-list
>
>
> End of Parentsgroup-list Digest, Vol 74, Issue 2
> ************************************************
>



-- =

if you're not trying to make something better
as far as i can tell
you are just in the way
-ani difranco
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/pipermail/parentsgroup-list/attachments/2=
0070711/92f47a6b/attachment-0001.htm


More information about the Parentsgroup-list mailing list