[Parentsgroup-list] new parent needs help

Kara Swanson kswanson at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 11 09:42:50 EDT 2007

Dear Rini,

Having moved to the greater Boston area several times with young
children, I ALWAYS find daycare first, then housing.  (In fact, having
moved 4 times in my oldest daughter's first five years, I ended up
applying for daycare at the slightest hint that we might be moving
somewhere -- I left application fees on the table in several cities we
never moved to, but I ended up getting a pick of good places when we did
move -- I recommend this strategy for transient grad student parents!)
Daycare/preschool is usually trickier, because as you are finding out,
most preschools fill up in the spring.  As Sebastian suggested, you can
get a list of preschools and licensed family day cares from Harvard.
Once you have a preschool spot, then try a rental agent for speedy help
in finding housing.  I always had to pay a fee, but the rental market
has softened now, and landlords may be willing to split the agent fee
with you, or even cover it.  (That said, finding housing with an under 5
child is always challenging in Mass, because of the lead-free law that
restricts the number of units available to families).  Harvard can also
give you a list of rental agents.

I advise trying family-friendly and cheaper (!) options outside
Cambridge, that have good transport to campus -- Watertown, Newton,
Belmont, Arlington.  Of those, Watertown probably has the best bus
connection to Harvard Square, and I believe that someone posted to this
list last month that Russell preschool still had spots
(http://russellpreschool.org/factsheet.html).  I have had many friends
who were very happy with that preschool.  On my first move to Cambridge
with a 1 year old, I ended up in Newton, sending my daughter to a
Montessori school in Newton Center.  If you do win the lottery (!) and
find a spot in Harvard daycare (which can be easier with a 3 year old
than with an infant or toddler), many locations in Somerville are
walkable both to the daycares and to campus.  If you find any place with
an opening, email the list and I'll bet you find someone who has some
knowledge about it to share with you.

In Cambridge itself, if you haven't already -- try all the cooperatives
-- they are cheaper, and tend to fill up a bit slower.  Also, check the
MIT daycare centers.  At times, they have spots for preschoolers that
aren't filled by MIT affiliates.

And if you end up somewhere you need to drive in a pinch, you may be
reassured to know that it only snowed once last winter!

Good luck,

Kara

Kara W. Swanson, B.S., M.A., J.D.
Ph.D. Candidate