[Parentsgroup-list] new student needs help!

Miriam Shakow shakow at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 11 00:01:30 EDT 2007

Dear Rini,
The harvard daycare centers generally have a year-long waiting list. if
you put your name down now on the lists of all of them, your son's name
should come up within the next year. If you moved to Harvard Square now,
you could try for a family daycare (several have been publicized on this
list), combined with a babysitter a few days a week. Harvard Housing is
mostly done by lottery the previous spring, but there may be some
apartments still available on the Harvard Real Estate Services website.

Peabody Terrace, Harvard Yard, and Radcliffe daycares are within a
ten-minute walk of Harvard Square. The botanical gardens is a little
farther, but during the school year, there is a regular free shuttle
between the botanical gardens and harvard square.

Another option is Bright Horizons, in Central square, which is a
15-minute walk from Harvard Square. A friend of ours sent their 2 year
old there. It sounded just adequate as a short-term thing, but better
supplemented with hands-on attention from a babysitter.

There is also a "help find it" type service available to graduate
students, but I don't know the name. I think you could call the GSAS
dean to get some help with this.

Take care,
Miriam