[Parentsgroup-list] new student needs help!

wenc at fas.harvard.edu wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 10 14:32:04 EDT 2007

This is from an incoming student.  Feel free to post any advice to the entire
list so that everybody can benefit from the collective wisdom!

--------

from Rini Kaushik <rinikaushik at yahoo.com>

I will be joining Harvard in Fall for a Ph.D. in Computer Science.  I am quite
concerned right now
and need some advice from fellow parents.

Here's my situation;
I have a 3 year old son.  My husband will not be moving to Boston with me and
will be in Boston
only on the weekends.  I will be single-parenting most of the time.  My mother
(can't drive and
not in a good shape) will stay with me.  I was hoping to find an apartment/condo
close to my son's
preschool so that my mother can drop/pick up my son on foot.  I also wanted the
apartment/condo to
be close to a public transportation route as I am not comfortable driving in the
snow (coming from
California).  However, I spent more than week in Boston last week and couldn't
find anything that
matches my criterion.  Most of the preschools are already full and the ones that
are open are not
close to apartments.

How are you all managing?  Where do you stay and where do your kids go for day
care?  I will
really appreciate pointers and any out-of-the-box ideas.

Thanks,

Rini