[Parentsgroup-list] from abroad

wenc at fas.harvard.edu wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 3 21:50:14 EDT 2007

Dear Emilie,

Welcome!

Silly question, but have you tried the Harvard Real Estate office?  They rent
Harvard-affiliated housing (which does not allow pets) but they also have
listings for privately-owned apartments.

To search the datebase, go to
http://hreslandlord.roommateclick.com/index.asp

which is a link from

http://www.hres.harvard.edu/RRE/NewWeb/brochure/housing/about.htm

Also try Craigslist.com, for Boston.

One of the reasons you may be having problems is that in Massachussetts it is
illegal to rent to anyone with a child under 6 years old unless the apartment
is deleaded.  If the place is not certified deleaded, most landlords will not
even show you the apartment once they find out you have a small child.  (You
can sue them if your child is lead-poisoned while you live in the apartment.)
The combination of a pet and a baby can really limit your options.

So--make sure you are searching for "deleaded" apartments.  They cost more,
unfortunately.

Good luck!
Christine