[Parentsgroup-list] traveling with an infant

Joy Geren joygeren at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 17:07:39 EST 2007

Congratulations! I took my son cross country on a plane by myself when he
was 2 months old and he has never been so easy to travel with since (he's
2.5 yrs). The things that worked for me: using a sling or a wrap instead of
a stroller (also gives you a place for baby to sleep/emergency diaper
changes), nursing exclusively, having him sleep in my bed and letting others
help me with everything but the baby at security and getting on and off the
plane (much easier if you aren't alone). Things I would have done
differently: bring lots of extra clothes for baby on the plane (my son
quickly went through both spare outfits I brought with diaper messes); bring
plenty of cloth diapers or your burp clothes of choice for clean ups;
and bring a spare shirt for yourself if you can. (Can you tell we both
arrived pretty messy?)

Probably the most important thing to bring is a sense of humor. I was a
little nervous about flying and found myself changing a very messy diaper on
a toilet seat (no changing table, no floor space in galley) when surprise
turbulence came up and the fasten seat belt sign went on. At the time I was
not happy about scooping up the pile of unsorted messy laundry and my baby
in just a diaper and running for my seat, but looking back it is actually
pretty funny. Remember newborn screams aren't really that loud, they get
louder as they age, and if you manage to get enough sleep before leaving you
are more likely to laugh than cry when craziness hits. Good luck!

-Joy

PS I will also be traveling at the end of June with my baby (due early May
as well) and my 2.5 year old. I'll be alone again and was wondering if
anyone has tips for getting two kids, two car seats, and sufficient carry on
for an all day flight to the plane. I figure I can survive the rest of the
trip one way or another but haven't figured this part out. Are luggage carts
allowed through security?  We don't have an infant or double stroller and
don't intend to get one.

On Dec 17, 2007 12:57 PM, Maryann Shenoda <mshenoda at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Dear all,
> My husband and I are expecting in early May.  We have an opportunity
> to go to Budapest with the baby in late June and we were wondering if
> it is advisable to travel with such a young infant.  We'll be staying
> in Budapest for two weeks.  What might traveling with an infant
> entail (shots, medicine, what to take with us, tips for the airplane,
> etc.)?  This is our first child, so any suggestions would be much
> appreciated.  Thanks.
> peace,
> Maryann

-- =